Im on a budget . . . I need a new motherboard/cpu with ram.

theredmatter1

Baseband Member
(So so so sorry if its a lot to read, just kinda desperate for help)
As the title explains, im on a very tight budget. I got a kid on the way, and my PC isnt up to par with todays releases. I want to run games on full graphics, with atleast 40 to 50 FPS. Im not so crazy about the most insane FPS, but I am tired of like 20 frames on full graphics. My CPU is an old scool intel 2 core duo processor. E5300. Runs at 2.60 GHz but I over clock it to 2.99 GHz, I dont feel that it is safe, but since I just got a job I can buy me a new one. I got a great graphics card. The PNY XLR8 Geforce GTX 660 Performance Edition. That will run anything on full graphics as long as I got the CPU and ram to back it up. I know that for sure.

Mainly I ask do I NEED a expensive mother board? I rather have the best but cheapest motherboard, and a great CPU to run on top of it. BUT IF its unavoidable and I need to spend a good 150 on the board then . . . I guess ill save up. But thats why I am here. I am hoping you guys can help me put together something that can help me kick back, while my child is sleeping.

Im pretty stoked but I wont be if I dont have a good PC with me.

So far I got a good hard drive, my power supply is I think 420 watts. I got CD drives, and a BUNCH of cases that fit ATX. I also think I want a good single fan that can keep the entire PC cool? OR mainly what, the CPU? I so far keep the side of my PC open and run a good fan into its side to keep it cool. Its been doing the job, since my fan in the back and the panel fan went out for this case.

But yeah, I might buy a new case too.

OKAY IM DONE! Sorry if it was too much reading!

(My current board is ASUS P5NSLI, and yeah my CPU is Intel(R) Core Duo E5300.

Maybe I should just buy the best CPU for this motherboard instead?

What ever you guys decide!

Last edited:
A 660 is a good card indeed, but at 1080p it will struggle with certain games like Crysis 3 maxed even with a good CPU. Oddly enough your CPU isn't hold you back that bad.

One problem, is your PSU is under rated for that GPU. You need to get a very good quality 450w (Seasonic) or a cheaper 500w like a Corsair CX.

Next we need a solid budget. I would suggest getting something like an ASRock B75 or H77 board and getting the i3 3220. That combo will eliminate any kind of bottleneck. You will need DDR3 for this as well.

Okay I book marked those!

And really? The power supply is really that important? O:

Also what case would you recommend I buy? I need one that isnt the craziest but its best at keeping everything cool. I dont care about looks much.

Jesus I might as well buy a whole barebones kit, or atleast a whole new computer with each component bought seperately.

The PSU should be the #1 component to everyone. The reason being, it can fry your whole computer if it goes out or if it isn't a quality unit can under power your GPU or CPU causing them to eventually die out or throttle.

Good budget case is the 200r. Great quality, decent looks, good cable management, and room for a full decent rig. If you want extreme cheap that will work GIgabyte has a 29 dollar case that will work.

Well hey, in case I dont decide to go and save for a whole new computer . . . can you help me find a better CPU and upgrade for my current motherboard? I got the ASUS P5NSLI, and right now I got the Pentium(R) E53000 Dual Core processor. Help help help. :[ lol

*sigh* im having so many debates going on with what i should do, deal with what I got and save for a whole new Rig or just buy the parts and all taht jazz.

Also, why are there so many arguments over amd vs intel?

isnt AMD best for gaming? how does intel reign over it?

I can possibly get a 222 dollar PC from AMD quadcore.

Back
Top Bottom