IggyG's first time building log - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Hello,
I want to build a computer. I had a Dell that lasted me about 3 years for which I paid around 1200$ but during those years I had to take to the repair shop due to various problems. I decided that I wonít be getting another Dell ever again. I want to build my own computer.

Let me start by saying I donít know much about computers and will have a lot of reading to do. Also, I will need your help. I will start with the stickies here and then proceed to what else you guy will recommend.

I want to keep this thread as my building log instead of creating a bunch of threads with noob questions.

My planned budget is 1200-1500max with a monitor. It might change as I proceed.I see this as learning process as well so I see it taking sometime, a month. More?

So far I have read this thread Any step by step tutorials out there?
and followed the links. It seems that most of the buying will be done on newegg or ZimZoomfly? Also, I have to start by picking a CPU?

I am looking at newegg right now. It seems that I have a choice betweem Intell and AMD.

How do I choose between the two?

Well I just have read this article AMD vs. Intel: What to Get? Which is Better? - PCSTATS.com
It seems that intel wins?
What is the difference between quad vs Duo?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer
Default Re: IggyG's first time building log

Intel is currently a better investment than an AMD processor. Quads have 4 "cores" while Duos have 2. The difference is that Quad cores are a bit more pricey and are better for multitasking, but are yet to be better for gaming (if that's what you're into). Not all programs make use of all 4 cores yet, and quad cores are not the "norm" just yet. They're both effective, and it just depends on what you want the computer for.

So, what will be your primary uses of the computer?

In addition, you have nothing to worry about. It's easy to figure out how to build a computer by yourself. I started reading about it when I was 14, and it's really not a challenge if you just use common sense and act safely. Everything has become more simple with computers now. Everything just either snaps or plugs right in. You don't need any tools but a screw driver, and nothing serious needs to be done either.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I do some gaming but nothing that requires crazy graphics, yet. I think the game that had the highest requirement that I played was Oblivion. As of now I am looking forward to Football Manager 2009 which doesn’t require much and Fifa 09. I am sure that at some point I will get into more complex things.

I have been looking at the Intel CPU for the last hour. I think
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
would be a good choice. Unless you guy recommend to go a step higher which is just 20$ more?
Old 11-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyG View Post
I do some gaming but nothing that requires crazy graphics, yet. I think the game that had the highest requirement that I played was Oblivion. As of now I am looking forward to Football Manager 2009 which doesnít require much and Fifa 09. I am sure that at some point I will get into more complex things.

I have been looking at the Intel CPU for the last hour. I think
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
would be a good choice. Unless you guy recommend to go a step higher which is just 20$ more?
So you do some gaming. Do you do any video/picture editing? If you want the system mainly for gaming, then the e8500 is a fine choice.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

It sounds like you love multi tasking. So a Quad Core would be more beneficial for you then a higher clocked dual.

What's your budget for the CPU? You could either go with a Q6600 or a Q9550 if your budget allows it.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan_Kaizer View Post
So you do some gaming. Do you do any video/picture editing? If you want the system mainly for gaming, then the e8500 is a fine choice.
I do mostly gaming and other basic stuff such as watching videos.

Hussein19891 What does this mean "a higher clocked dual"?

So I guess my choice will be between
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
and
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

What is my next step? A mother board? What are the things am I looking for in the motherboard?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

The E8500 can be over clocked to 4.0ghz and above. Nos has his at 4.8ghz as of right now. While the Q6600 will probably hit like 3.2ghz~3.4ghz on air. Which is not bad at all, because 4 cores operating at 3.4ghz on air can handle pretty much anything.

As far as mother boards go, it depends on whether you want to Crossfire, Sli, and how much your willing to spend.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Where can I read up on the differences in mother bords? I don't clearly understand what is the difference between CrossFire,Sli and regular. What should I look for in the mother board besides the CPU fitting in and Ram slots?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
I don't overclock

crossfire capable of running 2 AMD/ATi cards at once
SLi = running 2 nVidia cards at once
or none of the above, just 1 card

size? ATX mATX
ram speed supported?
how many usb ports it has, and how many you need
fire wire port
expansion slots, PCI and PCI-e
is dual channel ram supported? how many gigs is supported? speeds supported
bios interface
popularity? more popular it is, more stuff you can find out, get more help with setting it up, or when something goes wrong
sata ports? how many?
ide?
on board raid?

these kids will recommend you a good one, don't worry
and I bet its a Biostar its got a STAR in the name, I don't see how you can go wrong with that.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Clown View Post
and I bet its a Biostar its got a STAR in the name, I don't see how you can go wrong with that.
I m officially in love with Biostar as of right now. LOVE the quality of their motherboards Intel and AMD.

Closed Thread