If you were just GIVEN a socket A system that's 6+ years old...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
What would you do with it?

I'm getting new SATA hard drives on monday, which means I'll have two hard drives (200 gig + 80 gig) IDE drives that I won't be using.

I thought about putting them in the Socket A system and just sharing them. Could I do that? Could I do that without the use of an operating system? Can I just set them as slave drives or something, and have them sit idle until another computer on the network puts stuff on them?

You could do that, but you would still need an operating system. Why not try a small version of Linux?

Greg said:
You could do that, but you would still need an operating system. Why not try a small version of Linux?

Small version of Linux? **** I run Ubuntu as my main OS on my rig. I guess I can just toss in Ubuntu on that system and set it up. What would I have to do?

Could I just set all of the hard drives (there will be three, 40, 80, and 200) to Cable Select? Or should I set master, then slave/slave for the other two?

All you would really have to do is install it and set up SAMBA (assuming it recognizes your harddrives. You may want to blank them and format them in Linux, especially if any of them are NTFS)

And why not just set it as master/slave/slave? Cable select would just choose them for you, it doesn't really matter.

I was just thinking, how easy would this be? What I'd do is put Ubuntu on the 200 gig drive (master) and format/install Ubuntu, then format the other two drives hooked up as slave. However there are two systems on the network with Windows XP, while my system has Ubuntu. Would any computer with any operating system be able to save information on these hard disk drives that would be shared in the socket a tower? I just wasn't sure if it mattered with file system types and all...

Setting up a samba share is quite challanging even in ubuntu. Its easy to see the network from the linux box but It takes alot of screwing around to access the linux box from a windows machine.

Well, what are my options? I need an OS, and a free one at that, and I hate to let 320 gig of hard drive space go to waste. All the time I'm uploading stuff on one PC and stuff like that.

I don't want to have to sit around all day trying to figure this out, but I hope it magically works for me.

FlashDude said:
Setting up a samba share is quite challanging even in ubuntu. Its easy to see the network from the linux box but It takes alot of screwing around to access the linux box from a windows machine.
nah, it's as simple as uncommenting one line in a config file. It took me a while to find it when I first set it up, but now using SAMBA is a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom