Idea for notebooks and laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
Idea for notebooks and laptops.

Ok because there is no laptop section I will post this hear.

Would it be possible to expand a laptop's graphics using a PCI slot? I don't know how because hardware is not my speciality (I am getting better at it ;) ) I have seen no end of items to expand a laptops usefulness with the PCI slots from network cards to a drink warmer (I only seen that once). So why not be able to expand the graphics capability of the standard laptop? Or even processing power as I have said I am no expert on Hardware so could I get some expert opinions on this.

Simple!

Size + Weight + Battery Life = Portability

But desktop PC components are getting smaller and smaller - soon you'll be building your own laptops! Hah, nah, that wouldn't work too well. But cost-wise, it's not worth it. Haven't you noticed? The graphics cards are getting bigger...hmm, if you go external perhaps, but even then, it should have a PCI-E connection to the board. Maybe your battery will last 5 minutes!

...the above makes no sense, but yeah. :)

No I under stand what you are sating but what I was asking is it possible to do it?

Many cards (mostly high end) are not integrated in laptops. They use a MXM slot which stands for Mobile pci-eXpress Module.

Humm but this is still not answering my question would it be possible to upgrade a laptop this way?

Yeah, but the size/heat issue being internal...would make it possible in the present time. It sure seems like it, at least.

Funny question though - as if computers will ever hit "the limit". Not in our lifetime anyway. :)

Are you referring to the external PCI slots? If so, no, you can't upgrade graphics by that route. Best you could do through those is a sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom