IDE help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Org

In Runtime
So I had really old *** IDE cables. They both seem a bit different ones wider and looks to have more wires in it.

So I got some new round IDE cables (2x3 connection) with out thinking. There way different from my old ones and I have know idea how to hook them up.

I have 2 hard drives 2 cd roms.

The way my old IDE cables were befor:
IDE1 MB->HD1->Cd rom1 Wider one
IDE2 MB->HD2->Cd rom2 Not so wide one

I tried that with the new IDE's and I keep getting insert boot up disk.

I've tried every combo I can think of and the most I can get working is one hard drive and one cd drive.

So ya me confused.

They should be labeled master and slave on the ends. Also, They should both be the same width, IDEs for hard drives and CD roms are the same size. The order should go, IDE1 (Or master) Motherboard-->Hard drive one with the one labeled master, then plug the slave end of that cable into hard drive 2. Then do the exact same thing for your CD roms. Plug the IDE cable into IDE2 or (Secondary) on your motherboard then the same thing with slave and master.

I Tried that. I think I'm havening issues on telling which is master and which is slave.

The master that goes to the motherboard is usually colored. For example blue or some other bright color. And the ones that connect to the cd roms and HDs are colored usually black and gray. Black being the one that goes to the master hard drive, and gray going to the slave hard drive. Same thing applies to cd roms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom