ide drive/ sata drive converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiko1

Beta member
i had some problems with my system as you can find out from my previous post :sad:

i can't use my sata hard disk to boot xp as i would like to recover my files.

i have a ide 320GB hard drive which i haven't used before, i would like to connect this hard disk to my motherboard but i don't have the necessary jumper cables, but i do have the sata cables from my sata disk, i was wondering if i could connect the ide disk to my sata cables through this adapter LinITX.com - IDE Drive - SATA Drive Converter

do you think it is possible to do this?

the ide disk is not formatted, what about installing the xp o/s would i need to configure bios

is it too much? should i just retrieve my files from the sata drive and then use it as my hard disk?

sorry too many questions hope i didn't confuse you:eek:

many thanks in advance:laughing:

it is confusing :) using a IDE-SATA convertor will work definitely.

you dont need to configure BIOS, to install or format IDE, just start windows installation and it will format the H/D during the Installation process.

try, restoring the SATA drive first, as do not do the clean install, just use recovery option, it will copy the missing files over windows and you will not lose data as well.

next time, when building up computers, do make partitions, so that you can save your data in partitions, other than the one with O/S on. so, in case of total O/S failure, and even clean install. you wont lose data.

Maybe, maybe not. :p Well, he's trying to get his IDE to work right? If his motherboard has IDE, then why is he getting the IDE - SATA converter? Can't he just connect the IDE directly?

thanks for the responses :happy:

i do have one ide slot but i would like to experiment with the adaptor, i've been readind about differences in speed from IDE to SATA, so i would like to experiment a bit

you're right i should have partitioned my drive, this time i'll have two hard disks, one for the OS and program files and the other for all my documents

thanks for the replies again:happy:

Partitioning is the best way to go and backing up your files. I didn't do that awhile back, and when my computer crashed while playing around with my FSB, I lost a lot of stuff. Now I created another partition so I just drag it into my Drive D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom