IBM 7nm process...

nheppeard

Baseband Member
So just really curious about what you guys think about IBM making the cross onto the 7nanometer process?? Would love to hear people who know a lot about that tell me all the benefits and what not. I'm guessing more powerful cpus and more energy efficient?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing more powerful cpus and more energy efficient?
Pretty much. Having smaller gates means three things:
1) You can fit more transistors in the same space, increasing performance
2) They have less electrical resistance which in turn means
3) They produce less heat

Typically these outcomes means you either get an equally powerful processor that runs cooler and with lower energy requirements (good for battery life), or a more powerful processor that outputs the same amount of heat and uses the same amount of energy.

Pretty much. Having smaller gates means three things:
1) You can fit more transistors in the same space, increasing performance
2) They have less electrical resistance which in turn means
3) They produce less heat

Typically these outcomes means you either get an equally powerful processor that runs cooler and with lower energy requirements (good for battery life), or a more powerful processor that outputs the same amount of heat and uses the same amount of energy.
Well heck yeah :) I saw a YouTube video that said it's three times the size of human DNA... That's really small lol. I love how tech is always moving forward.

sent from Spartaknight

Having a working prototype is worlds apart from a semiconductor manufacturer qualifying a new process for production. Samsung and Global Foundries are going to eventually benefit from IBM hitting that mark, but that's going to be for the super computer market and eventually the mobile market.

Back
Top Bottom