i7 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowerpower

Baseband Member
ok so i was reading custm pc magazine

and it had an i7 there which is the 920 d0

at 200 pound

yet it says it only has 4 cores, i thought the whole point was meant to be that it has 7

sorry if this is timewasting noob question

just really confused

becayser if true you might as well just get a quad core

lol, no it only has 4 cores. The i7 is quite a bit faster than the core 2 quads; look at benchmarks and comparisons between the two and you'll see. i7 is fastest right now. But if you want even more cores, then wait a bit for the 6 cores intel should roll out pretty soon, just don't hold your breath :p

The structure of the cpu has a lot to do with it as well.

An i7 clocked the same as a C2Q will be faster. Not to mention triple channel ddr3 ram and hyper-threading. (4 actual cores acting as 8 virtual cores)

Not exacly. It depends on the architecture of the cpu too. For instance the old Athlon, I think it's the right name, had a lower frequency comparing with the Pentium 4 and it had a similar frequency. You cannot take in account only the frequency and the number of cores.

i7 is the codename of the processor, it has nothing to do with thw number of cores. For instance the cpu i5 also has 4 cores.

The best way is to consult benchmarks and see which cpu is better for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom