i5 7600K or R5 1600 for streaming?

Yeah but the R5 1600 a little cheaper plus you dont need a special high cost mobo and CPU cooler to use ryzens overclocking abilities.
Already Ryzen has impressed me with the R7 1700 on a B350 motherboard and its stock wraith spire cooler.
And evern if this was just a gaming computer I would think a Ryzen 5 1400 will be a steal just as good as a core i5-7600K

Last edited:
The 7600k doesn't need to be overclocked at all though ;) And this is a big deal especially at 1080p without a GPU to brute force it. Something like a 1070 sure, but a 970 not so much. I'm actually building a PC for a friend of mine and paying for his platform with my own money and it'll be based around a 1600 but I've still warned him about this. You don't want to go into recommendations for people immediately with overclocking, it doesn't bode well to most. I told him I'd personally overclock his chip for him with an H80 GTX V2 and utilize fast RAM for the infinity fabric but he said he'd rather have an i5 if it meant not dealing with it. I'm still getting him a 1600 though mainly because I want to play with it.

Still though the ability of ryzen to overclock on any B and X series motherboard is a good selling point.
Sure it is, but independent tests have shown even a G4560 scoring decently with a card like the 1060 6GB and RX480 8GB within margin of the 1400 even at 3.8GHz. This guy shows the i5 7400 still getting higher framerates than the OC'd R5 1400 even on GTA V which we all know loves threads and it's only 20 bucks more than the MSRP for the R5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdmeGOsnss

I'm as happy as everybody else that these chips perform great and I'll more than likely be grabbing a Naples chip to upgrade my 2P server, but for people looking at just 1080p gaming I still think the i5 and a good GPU is the better option.

Keep in mind Ryzen is still new though and I feel ryzens potential hasnt even been scratched yet.
It will work itself out, besides Intel needs the competition.
Plus we have not got the R3 series yet, four cores for the price of a i3.

Last edited:
I have a feeling the R3 will have heavy competition by the G4650 as it's only 90 bucks and obviously keeps up with even the i5 7400.

Ryzen has room to grow but it's physically held back by RAM speed with the infinity fabric which is what holds back 1080p performance. This isn't something that can be fixed with bios updates unless they pull some fancy clock strapping crap which in turn can cause instability in the long run. So to really help you need to run fast RAM settings which so far still is unstable and only grants like 5fps at best. Obviously 100fps+ in almost all games isn't bad but that's with a 200+ dollar card and some people will be looking at these chips to pair with a 460 or 1050ti.

Still its competition, Intel has had a monopoly in gaming PC's for a long time now.
Choice is a good thing for the consumer, and i dont mean a choice in buying a core i5 over a core i3

Back
Top Bottom