i5 7600K or R5 1600 for streaming?

35g700

rustle rustle
I have a friend who currently has an i5 2400 and is looking to upgrade his rig. Back in February I helped him price out parts and at the time we chose a 7600K, but that was before the release of Ryzen. He also decided he wanted to do some streaming since then, so I told him he'd probably be better off with more cores over the slightly faster speed of the 7600K.

How much better would an R5 1600 be over an i5 7600K for streaming? He's bought AMD in the past, but he's too tech savvy and believes I don't think he realizes that Ryzen and Kaby lake are pretty close now.

Also,

He currently has a GTX 970 and wants to upgrade that to a GTX 1060. I told him it probably wouldn't be that much of an upgrade for $250, especially since he's only gaming at 1080p. Am I correct here?... He currently only has a 1TB hard drive, I told him he'd probably be better off investing in a bigger SSD or more HDD space.

Alright, he'll probably just order the 7600K today instead of waiting for a 1600 and AM4 MoBo.

EDIT: Maybe wait until Vega to get a new video card or the GTX 11** series.

He doesn't have enough money for a 1070 right now and needs a new HDD, SSD, and is set on getting a new CPU/MoBo/RAM. All he has in his system for storage right now is a dying 1TB drive so a SSD should be a massive improvement. The CPU/MoBo is questionable, but he says his CPU is getting maxed out in some games he plays.

He makes odd choices when it comes to upgrading... He bought a 1000W power supply for his current system a few years ago which is super overkill.

Thanks for the help BTW.

A 7600k is going to see close to 100% usage in some games too. If his GPU usage isn't lower than 90-95% then he isn't experiencing a CPU bottleneck.

Well if he wants to video edit then the R5 1600 will do nicely with its six cores.
I mean yeah I would skip on the 1060 (though I do love mine a lot being not a upgrade but a add on from having intel integrated graphics) but at least editing videos will be a snap

Last edited:
It's really only for rendering, but he only mentioned streaming.

It should actually do great at twitch streaming though as well as youtube.
Perhaps not as good as the Ryzen 7 series in that area of things but still an *** kicker at that sort of thing.
Then again the only one in the Ryzen 7 series anyone should buy is the R7 1700 as it can be overclocked almost as high as the R7 1800X for far less money.
I have seen the R7 1700 at work first hand and she is glorious for video rendering and streaming.
But for $130 less no doubt the R5 1600 will be the best selling CPU for the Ryzen series for content creators.
The two extra cores would be great for rendering videos compared to an i5

Last edited:
It should actually do great at twitch streaming though as well as youtube.
Perhaps not as good as the Ryzen 7 series in that area of things but still an *** kicker at that sort of thing.
Then again the only one in the Ryzen 7 series anyone should buy is the R7 1700 as it can be overclocked almost as high as the R7 1800X for far less money.
I have seen the R7 1700 at work first hand and she is glorious for video rendering and streaming.
But for $130 less no doubt the R5 1600 will be the best selling CPU for the Ryzen series for content creators.
The two extra cores would be great for rendering videos compared to an i5
Using GFE streaming is basically a 100% GPU operation these days. I've used an i5 6500 for rendering game videos, it's not that bad as the GPU helps in that regard. If he's only gaming and streaming I think the 7600k is the better way to go personally.

Back
Top Bottom