i3 v i5

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
Going to buy a Laptop with either i3 or i5 processor. Wont be using it for gaming or video editing, so should i just go with the i3, or is it worth it to pay £50 more and get the i5?

I have an ASUS laptop with an i3 330UM. I am fine with it, could even play SC2 on medium settings. But I don't play it anymore. Good all-around laptop.

Unless you are doing CPU intensive work, the i5 wouldn't help you. Unless there is a feature in the i5 that you do like. That would be the deciding factor, not necessarily the CPU.

I wouldn't. If I was only going to use it for general browsing/student work then an i3 will be plenty.

Ive went for the i3 processor. Hope it suits me well. I dont play games but use computers for surfing the net and storing my music collection generally. Also, just use office apps for certain things. The one im getting should be good for DVDs aswell. Dont watch a lot of films but plan to on the new one. I think i3 is the right choice for me.

The notebook ive used for the past 3 years is an intel atom. The only change i did was to upgrade the ram from 1 to 2gb. It serves its purpose well, copes with anything i need it to do really. Find the 120gb HD a bit restriced though, as would like to have lots of you tube videos and home movies saved to the HDD.

Its funny you should say that. One of my external drives is a "passport" model. Its really all setup to be a backup drive. Ive got another 500GB external, that I used as a second backup source. Never really occurred to me to use one of them for keeping large files/home videos on. ah well, every day you learn something new!

If its only a little extra money go with the i5 you can never have enough processing power, ram and hard drives spindle count spindle count spindle count :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom