I want to buy RAM - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: I want to buy RAM

Make sure you have a good processor on your computer before adding more memory. is true that memory makes a computer faster, but that is only true when you have fast processor.. if you have a 2.4 Ghz processor, 2 GB of memory should make the computer fairly fast.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevergeeks View Post
Make sure you have a good processor on your computer before adding more memory. is true that memory makes a computer faster, but that is only true when you have fast processor.. if you have a 2.4 Ghz processor, 2 GB of memory should make the computer fairly fast.
What a load of twoddle it depends on OS environment and program usage mainly other hardware such as cpu and gfx card are secondary factors

Old 12-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark33 View Post

Saltynay - Yes, this is exactly what im looking for. I cant believe i can get a 2 gig piece of RAM for around £25. That would mean i would have 2.5 gigs, assuming i replace one of my 512s with a 2gb.!!!
not if your mobo only supports 2gb. you will have 2gb. im not sure if it would take 1.5gb from the 2gb stick and use the 512 and run them in dual channel or if it would see only the 2gb stick and run in single channel. it may not work at all if it only supports 2gb.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

Using System Info for Windows (SIW), it says that my maximum capacity is 2048MB, so i guess that means I can have no more than 2Gig. So, what i plan to do is either:-

a) Remove both existing 512 MBs from their associated slots and put in one 2GB RAM into one of the emply slots and have a remaining slot empty.

or

b) Remove one 512Mb from its slot and replace with a 1Gig bit RAM, giving me 1.5 gigs.

I cant have any more than 2gigs due to max capacity - so this must mean that i am limited to these two choices? My preferred option is the first one (a).
Old 12-20-2008, 05:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Patron

Option a)
Assuming thats your motherboard also having a couple of ram sticks lying around isn't a bad thing.... helps with troubleshooting incase yo ever a problem also could be used for a media centre if you want to add to the computerisation of your home.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

Yeah, baby! The heart transplant has prooved succesful! Couldnt believe the dust that had accumulated in there aswell. Im running of a 2gig bit of ram with one empty slot. My initial thoughts are that my comptuter, does indeed seem a lot sharper. !!!!

thanks again. Someone will be getting my old two 512 bits in there christmas stocking i think.!
Old 12-20-2008, 07:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Patron

If your pc still feels slower then brand new then use a registry cleaner like CC and defragment your harddrives a bit
Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

It felt like new before i installed the RAM, i think im just getting abit techie concentious! Can you recommend a goodd registry cleaner. I installed one of these not to long ago and felt it slowed my pc down!
Old 12-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Patron

CC cleaner I install it, update, run it then uninstall and keep the installer for next time no real reason to keep it constantly on I just use it whenever I feel my pcs is getting a bit slow or runs out of space.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

you ram is only running single channel if you have just one stick in it. you should use 2 x 1gb sticks to get the full potential of the ram.