i want to build a new rig - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BFE
Posts: 28
Default i want to build a new rig

i want to build a new rig that has dual everything

I.E.
Dual Dual core Cpu
Dual Gpu
2 2TB HDD's
& between 8-16 GB Ram
mobo capable of supporting this setup
at least a 850-900w psu
2 dvd+/-RW drives ([U]not Bluray!!!!!!![/U])
and a ******* gaming tower


I want to use the rig for gaming but i want to have 4 screens
Price is no concern. I also want a Decent liquid Cooling system
Plz Help
__________________

Setsuna F. Seyei is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lady Techie
 
Yami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 7,774
Default Re: i want to build a new rig

Price is no concern? I could easily design you an $9000+ machine. Are you sure you have no budget? Btw, you won't even need 8GB, are you sure you want it?

Also 4 screens is crazy That sounds awesome.
__________________

__________________
Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone Galaxy S7 Edge

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Inspired by Art
 
tastegw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,400
Default Re: i want to build a new rig

i would do some serious research before investing in a system like your thinking about.

alot of that is overkill.

you can build a crazy system still, no need for 2 cpu's or 8-16gb ram and 4 total tb's of hd.
(i have put a total of <100GB's on my current HD that ive had for a year)

if price is no concern:

intel i7 extreme 965
biostar x58 mobo
2x gtx 295's
6GB's ddr3 ram
corsair 850w psu
antec 1200 tower
1x cd/dvd drive
1x blueray drive
and your hard drives

this would be no where near 9k (more like 2,750-3,500)
and would handle everything you throw at it.

but still, you can allmost half that price and still get simular real world performance:

intel i7 920
biostar x58 mobo
1x gtx 295
3gb ddr3 ram
corsair 750w psu
antec 1200
and your drives (about 1500?)

no need to go paying a massive premium for performance your not gonna see to the naked eye.
__________________
tastegw is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo
 
Evolv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg,PA
Posts: 1,240
Default Re: i want to build a new rig

OP, unless you're building a server, a Dual CPU motherboard probably wouldn't be any different than a i7 build for gaming. Plus you would need something like this:
Newegg.com - SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DWA-N Dual LGA 771 Intel 5400 Extended ATX Server Motherboard - Server Motherboards
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Evolv is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BFE
Posts: 28
Default

I saw a rig like the one i want in a tech mag i just cant find the mag and i know its over kill but i consider it planning for the future with a rig like the one i want i should still be ahead of the curve in 2-3 years. plus i want to be able to run multiple programs at the same time without degradation of performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamikotai View Post
Price is no concern? I could easily design you an $9000+ machine. Are you sure you have no budget? Btw, you won't even need 8GB, are you sure you want it?

Also 4 screens is crazy That sounds awesome.
yeah 4 screens or a really good projector so i can use my bedroom wall as a screen.
lets see what you can design for me
Setsuna F. Seyei is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Inspired by Art
 
tastegw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,400
Default Re: i want to build a new rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
I saw a rig like the one i want in a tech mag i just cant find the mag and i know its over kill but i consider it planning for the future with a rig like the one i want i should still be ahead of the curve in 2-3 years. plus i want to be able to run multiple programs at the same time without degradation of performance
nothing you buy now will put you ahead of the curve 2-3 years

any newer quad core will multi task very well right now.

no need to pour thousands in a system because you want it to work as good as what the future holds, this is highly unlikely.

save some doe, if price is no concern, just get a bada$$ i7 rig for $1500-2500 and upgrade next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

you will save youself alot of money this way, because everytime you upgrade, you get to sell everthing you no longer need.

this is the best way to keep up with technology

not going out trying to build the most rediculous build ever.

the current i7 rigs even the 920 will handle everything you want it to do and more.

but that projecter idea does sound like a winner if you can find one @ the right resolution and good specs to back it up.
__________________
tastegw is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The dried husk where America came from
Posts: 5,801
Default Re: i want to build a new rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastegw View Post
nothing you buy now will put you ahead of the curve 2-3 years

any newer quad core will multi task very well right now.

no need to pour thousands in a system because you want it to work as good as what the future holds, this is highly unlikely.

save some doe, if price is no concern, just get a bada$$ i7 rig for $1500-2500 and upgrade next year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

you will save youself alot of money this way, because everytime you upgrade, you get to sell everthing you no longer need.

this is the best way to keep up with technology

not going out trying to build the most rediculous build ever.

the current i7 rigs even the 920 will handle everything you want it to do and more.

but that projecter idea does sound like a winner if you can find one @ the right resolution and good specs to back it up.
Agreed. My DP opty 270 machine probably isn't 2 yet but has the same folding perfomance (unscientific I know) as my e5200.
__________________

__________________


There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
kmote is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st time build - Gaming Rig luigi336 New Systems | Building and Buying 13 10-08-2008 07:06 PM
Computer Gaming Build Arbiter System Upgrades 27 08-22-2008 04:38 AM
My Newest Build HellFireRS New Systems | Building and Buying 0 08-13-2008 11:17 AM
Rate this build, PC under $800 Lobstar System Upgrades 4 08-07-2008 12:22 PM
Domain Controller and SQL server Build abadjay New Systems | Building and Buying 2 10-05-2007 08:39 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.