I want to add more memory, but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirzune

Beta member
I have an HP Pavilion a250n with 2 modules of 256 333mhz DDR PC2700
and I also have two 256 400mhz DDR PC3200U modules from a dead Dell.
Since I have to sockets available, could I add the 400mhz DDR PC3200U modules for a gig of total memory? And, if it is possible, what would be the worst case scenerio should this be incompatible with my configuration by some chance?

Thanks for any reply...

it should work fine, the frequency of ram like this only matters if you have matching pairs of each, which i assume you do, soooo relax, it will work fine.

it should work fine, the frequency of ram like this only matters if you have matching pairs of each, which i assume you do, soooo relax, it will work fine.

yes and no. You're correct in that it will work fine, but the frequency matters overall because it has to run at the same frequency over all the chips. What will end up happening is it'll all run at 333mhz.

If all that will happen is that it runs at the slower speed, I'm fine with that since the slower speed is the computer in which I want to install the extra memory.

I have a ThinkCentre M52-8113D1U.It has 4 slots-slot 1=1024 PC2(5300) 333mhz(closest to cpu)(Kingston)DDR2
slot 2=256 PC2(4300) 266mhz (Samsung)DDR2
Question-Do I keep either or of these two?I am getting a 2gig stick(del.Thursday)DDR2-Samsung,800mhz.Only put the new stick in?Or add it to my PC,slot 1 new stick,slot 2??,slot 3???(other 2 slots are light blue,fyi).Or just discard the old sticks?Hate to get rid of the other 1024 stick,but if it will be more a hindrence,no biggie.Hope I was able to explain good enough,and thank you for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom