I need some sound card advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2k4

In Runtime
I am looking to buy a sound card. Right now I am using integrated Realtek AC97 Audio and I heard that if I switch from integrated to a seperate card I can get a CPU performance boost of up to 15%. Also My computer doesn't have a MIDI/gameport and I would really like one so I don't have to purchase a new joystick.

I am not willing to spend very much money on a sound card though, $20 Canadian MAX. I would also prefer to buy from www.tigerdirect.ca. I really know nothing about sound cards, never got around to learing what brands are good, what specs are good etc. I was wondering if this is a good card:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1111756&CatId=0
It supports 6 channels which I like because I might want to hook up my computer to my sterio system to watch movies and it supports 5.1 surround sound.

Is this a good sound card or could I get one with better specs for less money?

well for $20 you're not gonna get the best out there...

but if you're not an audiophile, anything should do fine :p

and as for 15% performance boost, i doubt it. i say 5% tops.

as for 5.1 sound, i think you can only do it with computer speakers... you'd have to have some sort of digital output which that soundcard doesn't have..

Okay, even just a little CPU boost would be fine since I mainly want the card for the MIDI port so an extra 5% is a nice addition. For gaming I use headphones but for watching movies I want to hook it up to my surround sound, would I see an increase in audio quality if I use this instead of using integrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom