I need help troubleshooting new pc - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy I need help troubleshooting new pc

I have built my first pc, and am having a few problems.

the first is that windows vista 64 bit would only allow me to install it with 2 memory sticks in it (each is 1Gb) instead of the 4 sticks i bought for the computer. I installed it with the 2 in it, and of course afterward tried putting them back in, but on boot I get an error 4 of every 5 tries (STOP: 0x000007E .........). I don't think its bad RAM becuase either set works, just not both at once. What kind of issue might I be having with this?

My other problem is with the graphics card. Its a 9800GTX. I installed the drivers from nvidia's website, and restarted. Upon restarting, I now get a really f**ked up screen with random colours everywhere and the computer becomes unoperable. This happens not by being in windows iteslf, but whenever I open any application not part of windows itself. Im not too sure about the card because I opened it and there were a few parts missing (VGA adapter) and the driver cd!!! Maybe I should take it back?

Thanks.

-Rich

Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Re: I need help troubleshooting new pc

Quote:
the first is that windows vista 64 bit would only allow me to install it with 2 memory sticks in it (each is 1Gb) instead of the 4 sticks i bought for the computer. I installed it with the 2 in it, and of course afterward tried putting them back in, but on boot I get an error 4 of every 5 tries (STOP: 0x000007E .........). I don't think its bad RAM becuase either set works, just not both at once. What kind of issue might I be having with this?
You might have a bad RAM slot on your mobo. Try booting with a single stick, one slot at a time and see if you hit a bad one. you might try booting several times in each. If that doesn't trigger anything, starts putting in sticks in different combinations to find the problem.

Quote:
My other problem is with the graphics card. Its a 9800GTX. I installed the drivers from nvidia's website, and restarted. Upon restarting, I now get a really f**ked up screen with random colours everywhere and the computer becomes unoperable. This happens not by being in windows iteslf, but whenever I open any application not part of windows itself. Im not too sure about the card because I opened it and there were a few parts missing (VGA adapter) and the driver cd!!! Maybe I should take it back?
I would take it back so fast that the color of my car would have to catch up to me.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for those ideas. I have tried doing what you said with the RAM. Each slot booted fine with just 1 stick of memory. Now, with all 4 in, it lets me boot some of the time and some of the time not. I will return the video card for exchange asap, tonight i think. Could the problem with the graphics at all be related to the memory giving me problems?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

Quote:
I would take it back so fast that the color of my car would have to catch up to me.
That's gold :P

Quote:
Could the problem with the graphics at all be related to the memory giving me problems?
You could try just 1 stick at a time and see if the card is still messed up after different ram in different slots. I think that the motherboard could be faulty.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, I am on the computer right now writing this, I switched the 9800 GTX with my old Radeon X850, installed it and it works. So the 9800GTX video card is faulty and I will take it back. Also, I've updated the bios, but still get the blue screen crash some of the time, because i have 4 sticks of RAM as opposed to never getting the blue Screen with 2 sticks. But each memory slot worked by itself, that to me is strange.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Did you try it with 3 sticks?

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

overclock the ram to 2.0 volts if you can or atleast something other than the 1.8v
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok so ive returned the 9800GTX and got a new one - IT WORKS!

And i think ive found a combination for the memory where its fine, it hasnt given me an error in the last 10 or so boots, so i think im good to to.
Thanks for your help guys
Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Actually, all he needs is to update his Windows 64-bit. On microsoft's website they have an update to fix the 4gb problem. I had to do it with my latest build and after I applied the update all was well. I'm guessing it blue screens right when it shows the loading bar for Windows?

Error message when you try to install Windows Vista on a computer that uses more than 3 GB of RAM: "STOP 0x0000000A"

The description isn't exactly the same as what your issue is, but this is the update I used and this is what you will need in order to use all 4GB of ram.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Closed Thread