ok.. so i found it very difficult to stay within budget cuz of OS..
.. and i didn't want to deviate from my main goal.. anyways... this is what i came up with.. and yes.. it is over budget.. (not by a lot though..)
the best prices i found were from 2 different stores, www.cancomputer.com
so here is, in theory, what you would do. go to www.ncix.com
and make an account there (prices for parts are cheaper if you're a member.. and membership is free.. you just gotta be signed in to see the lower prices.. they always have weekly specials so be on the look out for those...). What you would do is select similar components at ncix, and use their pricematch feature which is in the shopping card.. you can price match all the parts you just gotta show the link... good stuff!! OR.. you could just go ahead and purchase the parts from 2 different store...
ALSO, if you buy from out of province, you only pay 1 tax (GST). so that leaves more $ for parts.. so $960 before gst = $905 .. the stores i chose are in bc.. and i can see you live in toronto.. so that'll work for the PST thing..
case + PSU
from cancomputer.com :
total: $944.71 + 6%gst = $1000
sooo... ya! i guess if you didn't want to pay that much, you could downgrade to 1gb of ram.. which i don't particularly recommend..
edit: looks like i forgot an optical drive.. i'll let you choose that.. i also forgot to mention you gotta pay shipping as well.. (but i'm sure you already had that in mind..)
also..i just realized that a couple of links don't work for some reason.. and i can't get them to.. soo.. i'll just say what they are.
ram: G.Skill Extreme F2-6400PHU2-2GBNR 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Kit
PRODUCT DETAILS $220
Capacity: 2GB (1GB x 2)
Speed: 800MHz DDR2 (PC2-6400)
CAS Latency: CL 5-5-5-15
Test Voltage: 1.9~2.0 Volts
PCB: 6 Layers PCB
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Type: 240-pin DIMM
PSU + case: Antec LifeStyle Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Super Mini Tower Case w/Front USB, Audio, IEEE $110
- Advanced Chassis Air Duct to cool the latest CPU and graphics cards on the market
- Improved overall air intake for better and quieter cooling
- Specially designed low-noise SmartPower 2.0 450W ATX12V v2.01 power supply
- Front mounted USB, IEEE 1394 (FireWire®,i.Link®) & Audio ports
- 9 Drive Bays:
- 3 x 5.25" external drive bays
- 2 x 3.5" external drive bays
- 4 x 3.5" internal drive bays in individual trays with rubber grommets to absorb hard drive vibrations
- Cooling System:
- 1 rear 120mm Tricool fan (standard) with 3-speed control to balance quiet with cooling
- 1 front 120mm case fan (optional) 25mm thick
-1 92mm fan (optional) in the air duct to cool the CPU
- 1 80mm fan (optional) for graphics cards
- Double hinge door design: allows the door to open up to 270º
- Made with 0.8mm SECC Steel
- Built-in washable air filter keeps harmful dust out of your case
os: win xp home edition $90