I May Have A Heart Attack Unless Someone Can Help Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

twentyeightpaws

Solid State Member
Hi,

This past Thursday, my computer went. And when I say went it went bye bye, unless someone here can tell me that it is okay, yeah right.

Anyway, I was emailing my mother in law, I went into the other room because the site I was trying to download a picture from was slow. I came back into the room 10 mintes later and I had a stop error: Page_fault_in_a_nonpaged_area

Now, I had turned my computer off and I did everything it told me to, I tried going in all the Safe Modes, I tried going in normally, I tried every way it asked. Nothing.

So I called Dell, oh by the way, I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with 256mb hard drive. With windows XP incase you need to know this.

The lady I talked to had tried everything, she tried to have me put in my windows cd to repair, that didn't work then she tried to do a full wipe out to reinstall windows, that didn't work, it kept coming up with this blue screen stop error. She had me take my computer apart and had me pull out the gray ribbon thing and something else and had me put it back in and she even had me take out a green card that was about 5 inches long 2 inches wide from one slot to another with clamps on the side, don't know what this card was as she didn't know either, when I asked her she said that is what her book in front of her told her what to do, mind you, she is from India. I put the computer back together and tried everything again and all the same thing. She sent me another Windows Cd and we tried it again to no avail. Everything the same.

Now the man, that I had talked to the second time told me there was nothing they could do because they have taken all there necessary steps and my 3 yr contract was up. They told me I would have to buy a new computer, I was like WHAT?

I told them that if I bought a new computer it wouldn't be from Dell again.

I am so upset because I was working on a memory CD for my mother and father in law from the time they were growing up til now, so on and so on.

I had 600 pictures in my computer that I had scanned, took me 2 months to scan, and that is not the only thing I lost, I lost so much more I know that I will never get back, so Sad here.

Is there anything anyone can tell me that will make me feel better as to what to do to try to get this information back.

I can't get past that page at all I have tried for days and have tried all solutions that I can think of.

Thank God I have this backup laptop, which sucks but it works.

Thanks for all answers.

Hope

Well, there may be hope for recovering your data, but it sounds like the old computer is shot. From what I gather, Page_fault_in_a_nonpaged_area is normally associated with bad RAM (memory).

I am moving this to the hardware area, as it sounds like that is where it belongs.

Well, you've only lost your data if your hard drive is the problem.
If you're that worried about losing data take out your hard-drive and plug it into another computer; but this error is usually because of RAM. That's the green card you took out with hinges.
So, about the losing your data part.

Go to your friends house, (someone that has a PC)
Plug in your hard-drive, Add the Hardware if it isn't p&p
then copy all of the photos onto a cd, or send them to yourself if you've got time.
They should all fit on a DVD disc. =]

and the only solution you haven't tried yet, is buying some new RAM and using that.

You can some okayish RAM kinda cheap now.
Look here;
CHEAP RAM AT NEWEGG.COM

But if they had you wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows you ll probably lose some stuff. Also if you can get an external enclosure you could put the hard drive in that and use your laptop.

Sounds like just your RAM went... but with a computer over 3 years old that (I assume) is the same as it was 3 years ago, I would buy another computer anyway. Isn't worth it in my eyes to replace the ram in that, considering its age and the cheap price of computer parts recently.

Thanks all for all of your posts.

I told my husband about this and he said looks like we are going to have to put money out on a new computer.

Can anyone tell me what is a good computer for a good price. I don't need anything fancy, as you can see I only had 256 on my computer. I don't do too much. I do ebay, listen to music and play a few games on websites and email and alot of websearching.

I would like to try to get my stuff back but I don't think it is worth the money, time and effort I will just have to remember the sites in my favorites too, I had about 300 sites, that I will never remember half of them. I want to cry.

Thanks all,
Hope

Since you already have a monitor and all, I would suggest a Vostro:
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
That model is $349. I would recommend bumping up the optical drive to a DVD burner and possibly increasing the hard drive. You can choose to go with XP or Vista, but I assume you are used to XP.

*EDIT* Scratch that. For $50 more, you get the burner, a bigger drive, and a 19" widescreen monitor.
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

You mean to tell me that I can get all of this for $399.00

I have posted in Red what I will need answered or just things that I had wanted to point out.

Print SummaryMy System Details
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E2160 (1.80GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
No Pre-installed Productivity Software (What is this)
Dell 19 inch Widescreen E198WFP Analog Flat Panel Monitor
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz - 2DIMMs
Single Drive: 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
No Floppy Drive (No Floppy's anymore)
No Modem Option (I have a comcast modem)
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
My Accessories
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) (I have my old dell speakers which is good)
Dell USB Keyboard
Dell Scroll Mouse
My Software
No Pre-installed Anti-Virus/Security Software (This is fine, because Comcast gives McAfee for free)
Free Microsoft Office Live Small Business
Adobe Acrobat Reader
My Services & Warranties
1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service
10GB for 1 Year Online Data Backup by Dell DataSafe (Do you mean that Dell actually backs up my information?)
1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup
Dell Network Assistant
Purchase is not intended for resale.
Also Included
Windows XPâ„¢
No ISP requested
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

My other computer has on the CD's the burner and all of that, so I was cool with all that too.

I can't believe how cheap computers have gotten in the last 5 years.

When I bought my last Dell 5 years ago it was almost $700.00 and I really had nothing on it. Now I can get a nice loaded machine with more on it for $400.00, I can actually do some upgrades and get some extra. My husband just allowed me to do $600.00 being that is what we were going to look into. Didn't think computers were that cheap. Never really priced them because I was never looking to buy one before.

One more thing my husband just asked me. Walmart sells Dell, would it be good to buy one from there or straight from Dell? I really don't want a Dell, I was looking into an Acer but don't know how well that system works.

Thanks,
Hope

Acer and Dell are pretty on the same level. I hear the Vostros are okay but I'm still not a fan of Dell. Obviously building your own really isn't an option, though, so I think a Vostro would be just fine. I would also check out Compaq, they're good for the money. You can configure one here:

Buy SR5152NX series, Compaq Presario SR5250NX series, HP Pavilion Desktop and Slimline PCs, Compaq Presario Desktop PCs, Media Center Computers, and Digital Entertainment Centers, Desktops direct from the HP Home & Home Office Store

ZT is also very inexpensive. I don't have a ton of experience with them but I've heard lots of good things and the price is definitely right. I would looka t them over a Dell personally but that's just me.

Buy the ZT Affinity 7012Vi-33 Desktop PC and other Desktop computers at circuitcity.com
Buy the ZT Systems Affinity 5024Zi-33 Desktop PC and other Desktop computers at circuitcity.com

Or configure here:

Home & Home Office > Desktops

you should have came to us before you wiped it. get erd commander 2005 and see if you can get the data back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom