I hear a lot of people talk about double layer DVD burners... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Double sided is something else entirely. Dual layer is where the data is encoded in two different 'levels' on the disc, the laser can focus to read both layers hence dual layer! Double sided means that bits are encoded on to both sides of the disc giving even greater storage capacities. The largest capacity discs at present are dual layer double sided and can hold a massive 15.9 GB of data, which equates to an 8 hour movie!

Old 11-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Not strictly true cedjunior with regards to dual layer discs being 2x the capacity o single layer. When a disc is made with two layers, the pits have to be a little longer, on both layers, than when a single layer is used. This helps to avoid interference between the layers, which would cause errors when the disc is played. As a result they are not quite double capacity.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Of course they're not exactly twice the capacity, that was just a generalization.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Zyzyoro

another thing about double layer dvd burners. they WONT work unless u have the latest CD/DVD brungin software. i had to learn this the hard way. i suggest Roxio 7 or up. Nero doesnt seem to support double layer DVD's.

<--Comp down-->
I\'m not sure what happened. Go here for more details:
<a href=\"http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102641\">Click</a>
Closed Thread