I hear a lot of people talk about double layer DVD burners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
And my questions are simply this...

1: Double layer... Does that mean that I have to take the CD out and flip it over? Or does it change "layers" on its own while burning on a single side?

2: If I were to burn a DVD movie to this double layer disc, would it switch from layer A to layer B while playing uninterrupted?

3: Lastly, WHERE THE HELL DO YOU FIND THESE? I can't find ANY double layer DVDRW's. I've searched ebay, circuit city, best buy, wal mart (laugh, but it was last resort).......

for #1... no it is on the same side

#2. yes...dont actually think of it as two seprate layers...think of it as having more space than a regular dvd-r

#3. right now there arent very many dvd-r9's out..and i've never seen a dvd9 Rw

Ehh... Doesn't seem worthwhile to me. 25 for 80 bucks? I can get 50 single sided DVDRW's for 35.

I think I'll just stick to single sided DVDs. I was looking for something with more storage so maybe I could get lucky and be able to backup all of my music onto one CD burned as data. But, I'd rather use two discs if that means it'll be much cheaper!

Ya but when you make a copy of a movie DVD most of the time you'll end up with two discs, and it's just inconvenient.

There's no practical use for it yet. The thing is that nothing is formatted in dual layer yet. Everything is still in single layer.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
There's no practical use for it yet. The thing is that nothing is formatted in dual layer yet. Everything is still in single layer.

Ryan

Huh? Most devices play dual layer just fine.

yeah, play. They can, but do they actually use it? Bought a video game recently? Is the disc more than 4.7gb? If not, they wouldn't get a DL disc, and you're not using any DL features. Single layer is all that's used, period. The only instance of using DL is if you're putting information on the discs on your own, like backup.

Ryan

The fact that companies don't burn their own dvd's with dvd r drives has nothing to do with it, they use different methods to mass produce dvd's. The reason why dual layer DVD's are so expensive is because they are expensive to produce and they offer 2x the capacity of single layer dvd-r's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom