I have a question about case fans. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default I have a question about case fans.

So I decided to install an old working case fan I had lying around into my computer. I did some research and found that rear fans are meant to blow out, front fans blow in, and side fans it depends. Here is my case.

The fan I installed was in the lower side vent. I have it pointing inwards right now, but I'm not sure if its supposed to be pointing outwards or not. It blows air in right below my video card. (the video card in question is a 570 twin frozr II, which doesn't really aim it's exhaust in any particular direction) Should that vent be for video card exhaust?

I also have an upper side vent, and two rear vents, all of which are 80mm. I have only one motherboard case fan output however. Would it be at all possible to fill four of these with only one source of power coming from the motherboard? Or would it be better to just install one rear vent, using a 2 way splitter?

Bluehotdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: I have a question about case fans.

You can get fan adapters that are molex to 3 pin. You don't want more than 1 fan on a motherboard header due to the power specifications. They aren't meant to exceed like 20w or something like that.
As for fan placement. Front and sides (sometimes bottom if you have one) are all intake, rear and top exhaust. I personally don't dig side intake at all.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

What do you mean by motherboard header? Is there somewhere else on the motherboard I could plug a fan in other then the 3 pin fan plug? Doesn't the motherboard need to monitor the speed of the fans does that not matter?
Also, I have SATA power connectors, instead of molex.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

A motherboard header is another name for the 3pin fan connector. No, you can't plug a fan anywhere else on the motherboard. No, the motherboard doesn't need to monitor any fans. It's just there for Cool And Quiet (AMD) and Smartfan (Intel).

Unless you have a tiny prebuilt or a very crappy PSU then you should have 4pin molex on your PSU.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I do have some molex cables actually, they just weren't attached to the psu. I just ordered some fans which come with Molex adapters in addition to the 3 pin connectors.