I have a problem with my setup- Building my first computer!! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

I had a similar problem, eventually I replaced the mother board. If you go to a retail store like Fry's or one with a good return policy, see if you can't pickup a PSU and a MOBO. Try the PSU first, as it's relatively easier to swap out some cables, if that doesn't work, then replace the motherboard. Eventually, you will find the problem.

A word of caution, updating the old computer with a new motherboard isn't always practical. With a Socket 478, at least you have some future upgrade potential. But if in 6 mos from now you're hating this computer you might regret sinking $50 into an outdated system.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by bengance
I had a similar problem, eventually I replaced the mother board. If you go to a retail store like Fry's or one with a good return policy, see if you can't pickup a PSU and a MOBO. Try the PSU first, as it's relatively easier to swap out some cables, if that doesn't work, then replace the motherboard. Eventually, you will find the problem.

A word of caution, updating the old computer with a new motherboard isn't always practical. With a Socket 478, at least you have some future upgrade potential. But if in 6 mos from now you're hating this computer you might regret sinking $50 into an outdated system.
im thinking about getting this motherboard... http://shop2.outpost.com/product/413...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG is it a good one to go with...

Old 02-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i dont see anything wrong wit that motherboard...looks good for the price as well...

Old 02-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

so wait, i wanna test out my mother board as well... see if it posts.. i can do it without ram and a cpu?? only the psu and mobo??

nevermind.. i'm an idiot... ^^^ i need the ram and graphics card in... harhar.. i should take 512mb out of my compaq just to test my motherboard
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 02-09-2006, 02:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

I believe it can POST without a video card. You will just have to listen for a beep. As acknowledgment.