I got a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt08642

Daemon Poster
I got a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive today, and some people are saying it will last six months tops, and that it will get bad sectors in like 2 days.

Is there any truth to this, or did they just have bad experiences??

I'm really worried because as a student, this is kind of a big expenditure for me :(

Thanks!

-Matt

I've had an Hitachi deskstar (640GB) for about a year and half, going fine. I highly doubt you'll have any problems with it over any other drive.

Bought a Hitachi 500gb for the GF, been 11 months and absolutely no problem
I have a 320GB Hitachi myself for 3.5 years and have had no problems

The people saying it won't last are just coming from bad experiences or hearing/reading about it.

It's not entirely true because every company has had a batch of faulty units from time to time. Even some of the top hard drive companies. Like WD and Seagate. Some people say the same thing about them as the others say about Hitachi.

All drives go bad sooner or later, we all hope for later but sometimes it sooner and it happens to every brand. Your new drive should have a (3) year warranty so it's not like your hard earned cash will just fly away if the drive happens to go bad sooner than expected.

I recommend keeping a backup of your important files, blank dvd's are cheap. And it doesn't hurt to run HWMonitor every now and then to check on your systems health (HWMonitor will report the temperature of most modern drives).

HWMonitor

Thanks for all the relies.

Now I'm wondering, what is a good hard drive monitoring utility? Recommendations?

Some people may just be saying that so they can scare you into thinking that you are wasting your money. I really can't recommend a hard drive monitoring utility. The people saying that the Hard drive won't last a long time might just come from their own experiences.

Hope everything works out with your drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom