i dont know

Status
Not open for further replies.

an51r

In Runtime
ok i havent the slightest i know i need to upgrade from a sempron (1.8) its really slowing up my gaming. i have two similiar choices but dont know enough to decide which one i should spend the cash on amd 64 newcastle or the venice??????????????????????????? they seem very alike but i am sure someone outthere knows what the differences are between the two.

gaara said:
Newcastle
Newcastle is one of the older AMD Athlon 64 cores, being brought to the socket 939 family from socket 754. Newcastle chips are based on the 130nm process, and have the largest power consumption and heat dump overall next to the Clawhammer core. They've got the normal Athlon 64 cache size of 512KB.

Newcastle is availible in chips such as the 3000+, 3200+, 3500+, and 3800+. It's a dated core and as far as overclockability goes, don't expect much more than 400MHz on air. I really would stay away from this core as I don't think there's any difference in price between it and the more power conservative 90nm cores.

Venice
The Venice is notorious for it's ridiculous power and voltage conservation, reaching clock speeds as high as 3GHz with little overall vcore increase. The Venice uses an improved intergrated memory controller which can account for all 4 DIMM slots running at 400MHz. Previous memory controllers would underclock the RAM to 333MHz if all four slots were in use.

The Venice specifically fixes the silicon problem found in the Winchester and can handle higher clock speeds. It's also the first AMD core to add SSE3 instruction sets, the third iteration of the SSE instruction set for the IA-32 architecture. It is a SIMD instruction set. If you are purchasing a midrange processor, get a Venice based chip.

Note: Some Motherboards require an updated BIOS in order to use 90nm cores.

found that in a sticky in the Overclocking section. hope it helps

thank you for the advice i am new to this and on somewhat of a budget so the venice it is the price difference is 3 dollars so there is no competition thanks to the great new egg again thank you all hopefully soon enough i myself should be rather proficient with the world of pcs the next test is building my own

that's an X2 with 512kb L2 cache per core, but it's socket 939, so he'd also have to get a new motherbord (1.8GHZ Sempron's are in socket 754). and it's probabbly out of his money range also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom