I am upgrading my computer and need a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingufetch5

Solid State Member
I am looking to upgrade my computer to be able to run newer games. I currently have a Emachine EL1852-EW20P that I purchased from walmart and I am looking to upgrade it to run newer games.
The specs I have now are: -Processor: Pentium Dual Core CPU E6700 @ 3.20GHz (looking to upgrade)
-Ram: 4gb (looking to upgrade to 8gb)
-Graphics: Built in Intel G41 Express Chipset (looking to upgrade)

I have a couple of ideas for what I want to put into the computer but I am pretty bad with all the technical stuff so I don't now if it will all work.
I am looking at: -Processor: Intel core i5-2500k Cpu (Quad Core) (3.30GHz)
-Ram: 8gb Patriot Memory (2 4gb sticks I believe)
-Graphics: Geforce GTX 560 ti oc
I would like to be able to run new games like Dead Island,Rage,Portal 2 and slightly older games like Mass Effect 2,Dead Rising 2,Resident Evil 5 and I was wondering if that would run those games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. You can't update to an i5. You have socket 775, not 1155.
2. Socket 775 can't run on DDR3. Don't know where Walmart got that from..
3. I don't think you can fit a 560 ti in there. It is a slim case.

Oh well that is pretty crappy. Do you have any suggestions for upgrading?
Edit: Also I like your new avatar even more than your old one

Do you have any suggestions for upgrading?
Build a new computer.

Looks like you were going to spend ~$500 just on upgrades.
While you can't build a computer from scratch with those same components for that price, you should be able to build something that can play those games for $600-700.

I'd say post the max you'd be willing to spend and what country you're in (Canada?), and see what people suggest.

I would spend around 700 if it will play those games on high settings. I live in Canada. Another thing I want to be able to run is minecraft with max settings. Right now my cpu doesn't seem to be able to handle anything above the lowest settings.

Rough Suggestion:

CPU: $130 AMD Phenom II x4 965.
MB: $110 ASRock 870 Extreme3 AM3+.
GPU: $125 XFX HD 6770.
RAM: $54 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600.
PSU: $65 OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W.
HDD: $60 500GB WD Caviar Black.
ODD: $21 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner.
Case: $45 Sentey Black Box Series 4284 v2.1.

Total = $725 (before shipping/rebates/combo deals).

I use Newegg just for ease of finding parts, but its probably cheaper to find a store near you that price matches and go pick them up cause shipping is ridiculously expensive in Canada apparently.

Also, if you're willing to cannibalize your current computer you can reuse the HDD and ODD and put that +$80 toward a better GPU, like an HD 6850/6870.
The only downside to that is if your current computer is your only means to get on the net, you'll have no way to troubleshoot the build if anything goes wrong.

I do have a laptop I can use to troubleshoot. I will probably take the 1 tb hardrive out of the current comp and the odd I guess aswell. I can probably check tiger direct for some of the items and see if they can get them shipped to the store for cheaper

Ok I just want to check, will the build that Roark suggested run all the games I listed on high-max settings? I also want to be able to run Deus Ex Human Revolution on high-max settings. If it won't run them on high-max could someone maybe post another build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom