Huge Fan Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceyc0ld

In Runtime
Okay, so this a big one, I bought this fan:

Silenx IXP7414B iXtrema Pro LED Fan - 120mm, 14dBA, 72CFM, Blue at TigerDirect.com

Now there's a major problem, I am going to post lots of pictures so you guys can understand.

The fan comes with this cable already pre-connected

xfoupx.jpg

That 3 pin cable can plug directly into the motherboard, okay no problem fan works. But I DON"T want to go that path, and I to use the molex converter it brings. Because my mobo only has 3 fan connecters.
14lok0h.jpg

That is the converter it came with the other end is molex, so yeah I plug in the cable that was pre atteached to that and plug it into my psu's 4 pin molex adapter.

jl78sz.jpg

That's the 4 pin molex, one end is 6 pin to the modular psu and the other end is female 4 pin molex.

I plugged it in and the fan did not work, then I went ahead and directly plugged into mobo then it worked.

I called my dad for some advice, as sometimes you fail to see problems, and other people can help :D. He said it wasn't possible to do what I wanted to do:

dls520.jpg

If you can see there that's the converter which the original 3 pin plugs into, but notice there's only wires leading to 2 of 3 pins available. So he says there's no way that you can plug in 2 to a 3 pin. It needs to be 3 to 3 for example instead of 2 wires leading to 3 pins 3 pins leading to 3 wires.

So here's the thing

either A): It's factory broken, and that wire is missing, and my dad is correct.

Or B): I did something, as I don't really see I did, but you guys may see it.

So hopefully that was descriptive enough.

Thanks guys :D

You can plug the fans 3pin to the 3pin-2wire adaptor, the third pin is only there to measure the rpm of the fan so it's not needed if it's not connected to the mobo or fan controller.

As long as you have a positive and negetive wire to the fan, it will work.

The problem is either you didn't connect it properly, the adaptor is defective, or the power cable is defective.

Yeah I tested it a couple times, I even tried the same setup but connecting the case fan to the converter that came with the fan but that didn't work either.

Okay thanks, I will go change the fan and if it brings the cable working, I'll post back.

Also, while I am at it, I had to return the ultra md3 and md2 media dashboards, they BOTH did not work. I plugged in the power to the power supply, they turned on but on the md3 it did not read cards. The md2 did not even let me boot because I got "USB OVER DEVICE DETECTED SHUTDOWN IN 15 SECONDS" error, cause the instructions say plug in both usb cords to a usb motherboard connecter, but the usb cords the md2 brings are both 4 pins so it's 4+4 = 8 but then there's 1 pin left on the motherboard usb so the instructions aren't very clear. And I tried connecting them seperate and got the same error. Also one thing I did for both devices, is I did not plug in the front panel stuff, (firewire, more usb, headphone, e-sata)? You think it needs those to also work?

WOW ! A friend of mine, who came over here, that is also registered on the forums (MarioEatsBK) did the exact same process that I did, and it worked, I feel like an idiot. I recall doing every single thing he did.

Okay, that leaves the md3 and the md2 problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom