HTPC Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJamesJR

In Runtime
Had some questions about HTPCs'... I figured they'd be somewhat practical with the right setup. Would just like to hear some thoughts on bare minimum specs for storeing BlueRays/Music. Not a internet or gaming rig. HDMI ready with great sound... Thinking of maybe throwing a AMD Semphron (spelled correctly?) in it.

Thoughts on case styles/cooling? Does it need adiquate cooling? I would rather the case be slim>boxy... Kinda how the new 360 is, possibly smaller... if possible.

Sound cards... Not familiar on what to look for with these. I'm sure I could figure it out eventually. Just some thoughts would be nice. Also, Intergrated graphics, or video card. If so, is there a specific kind for video output only (not gaming, or workstaion).

Thanks for the read.

It's Semperon. ;)

You need ample airflow. A front and/or side fan should be fine. No doubt you need a low profile heatsink.

If you are passing sound through HDMI, it uses the sound on the GPU. Unless you want to hook up external speakers.

I believe that an onboard graphic card, they have onboard HDMI now, hould be enough.

Will onboard graphics handle BlueRay? And should I be looking into something else other than the stock heatsink? Need something that will be able to handle 1080p.

Also I was wondering on what OS I should be using... And will the standard Media Player work fine? And for the PSU? Or do those generally come with the case?

Maybe someone could just put together a basic build for me so I can get an Idea... I'll try coming up with a few things later on and post them as well.

Onboard graphics are unlikely to be good enough to play back a 1080p Blu-Ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom