HTPC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleny3h

Baseband Member
Hey guys trying to put together a new HTPC. Not sure what parts to really get. Any ideas? Budget is around $500. Size doesnt matter and I'm not planning to use a TV tuner.

I'd look at the celeron wolfdales or sempron LE, something that uses low power, or, possible, an atom + ion. Its all up to you, but the machine you build for $500 could add $30 a month to your electric bill, which is a cost that's good to consider.

I recently bought an Cooler Master Elite 360 Slim, which was marketed as a budget HTPC case. Got it for $25 at Fry's a while back. Its bigger than almost all htpc cases I've seen. Its only marketed that way I think because its designed to be horizontal. ITs nice, though. 2 cd drive slots, 2 3.5" slots (one external), and it takes full size PSUs and ATX motherboards.

I'd look at the celeron wolfdales or sempron LE, something that uses low power, or, possible, an atom + ion. Its all up to you, but the machine you build for $500 could add $30 a month to your electric bill, which is a cost that's good to consider.

I recently bought an Cooler Master Elite 360 Slim, which was marketed as a budget HTPC case. Got it for $25 at Fry's a while back. Its bigger than almost all htpc cases I've seen. Its only marketed that way I think because its designed to be horizontal. ITs nice, though. 2 cd drive slots, 2 3.5" slots (one external), and it takes full size PSUs and ATX motherboards.

Thanks for the heads up, ill look into that. I was thinking it might be easier just to get something from Dell? Especially if i dont care about the size.

You'll spend more, but it all comes down to preference. Dell has a new mini-itx build for HTPCs but I can't remember the name. It looks very cool, though.

You'll spend more, but it all comes down to preference. Dell has a new mini-itx build for HTPCs but I can't remember the name. It looks very cool, though.

yeah its like the zino. i might just pick one of those up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom