HP Pavillion Ram upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Bob

Beta member
Hi,
I have a problem and am desperate for help. A friend of mine has a Pavillion zv5000 notebook and was looking to upgrade the ram. It was a hand me down from her father and was quite a mess when she got it, the OEM OS was replaced with a non-valid windows xp PRO (I know this because it was a service pack 1 version, and the replacement OS cd that came with it was a service pack 2, why her father put a pirated copy in is beyond me but a whole other topic all together) The unit has a P4 with ATI graphics and should have come with 512mb pc2700 ram, there is only 256mb installed. The slot that is on the bottom of the notebook is empty. I bought 256mb Kbyte ddr sodimm 2700/2100 (pc333/266) ram and installed it. The computer turned on (no beeps) ans in the bios the memory showed up, it went from 192mb to 480mb (plus the 32mb dedicated to graphics) but now it won't go passed the "press esc to change boot order f10 to enter setup" screen. After a couple of tries and some wishful thinking I removed the ram to make sure that it was the problem and not some new problem that might have been a coincidence . Sure enough when I turned it back on windows booted up without a problem. Now I was under the impression that when the notebook turned on and the memory showed up that in the bios that it shouldn't cause software problems, if you insall bad hardware it will prevent the unit from turning on or at least not be recognized in the bios, I have never had ram effect the boot up of the OS, just the boot up of the whole computer. In any case I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the reason for the problem is and could use some help, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom