HP Pavilion a6000n upgrades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a GTX285 or 280 fit in the build you supplied?

It would fit, but the 4890 is a better card for the price than the GTX285, and you can overclock it to the 280's level. It will handle most games on high settings up to 1080p resolution, and in a year from now if you need to crossfire another one it will probably be down around 100 bucks.

BTW the processor you linked earlier was actually a dual core for $99, thats why I recommended another dual core =]

All right, thanks to the both of you. I've gotten a few possible builds, I'll edit this post and put in my desired one (combo of all I've received) and perhaps you guys can tell me if I need to exclude/include or swap out a component.

okay, here we are. Tell me what you think.

CPU/Mobo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

HDD
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Case
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

RAM
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

GPU
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU
Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Optical Drive
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Aftermarket Cooler
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

(Do I need this? For 10 bucks I don't mind if it adds ease/stability. Just want to confirm) Cooler Holder
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

1053.36 (before rebates) 1023.36 after rebates. Not including shipping on a few items but that's alright. So, everything compatible?

All right, I added that combo, thanks for pointing that out. So what other parts/accessories am I going to be needing? Besides to obvious Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse. Does the power supply come with the back-of-computer to wall plug? And anything else I should be aware of? As a last question, do you know if the mobo I have supports dual graphics cards? For future intents.

Thanks for seeing this through man, appreciate the help and suggestions on the build.

yes, the psu comes with all the cables to connect the internal hardware and to connect it to your wall socket.

also yes to the dual gpu's. it has 2 pci-e slots that run at the full x16 speed, so thats a plus. but im not sure if that ocz 700w psu would handle another 4890. thats why i had changed the psu i listed in the build i listed earlier to this one, which would handle crossfired 4890's.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Well considering I don't plan on upgrading to dual anytime soon, I think I'll stick with the 700W one, to maintain a decent budget. Don't plan on spending anything for upgrades for at least 6-8 months and by then the whole ball game will have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom