HP CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
I have a HP Pavilion 4540 with a Celeron 433MHz CPU (yea i kno, its slow) So i'm probalby goin to upgrade it alittle (maxed out the RAM @ 256MB) and i was lookin for a new CPU. The mobo manual says its a socket 370 and it supports Intel Celerons in a Plastic Pin Grid Array (PPGA). So i'm lookin on ebay for a new celeron but idk wut the PPGA thing is. it also says it has a 66mhz fsb up to 100mhz. i havent looked much but i found this one: Intel Celeron Tualatin
its an Asus MEBVM 1.00 mobo

btw - dont recommend buyin a new computer since i have a P4 as noted in my sig. this is just a back-up computer that i use at my other house.

i concur you would probably be better off getting a mobo/cpu combo. here are a few(keep in mind this is tigerdirect.com prices so they arent the best)

Mach Speed Viper K8M8MS Socket 754 MicroATX Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor for $140

off topic but this is a nice combo pack as well :

eVGA GeForce 7800 GT 256MB PCIe Video Card w/ Free eVGA 133-K8-NF41 Motherboard for $340 at td

back to the mobo/cpus

MSI K8N Neo4-F NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz Processor with Fan for $265

again keep in mind these are all tigerdirect.com prices and they tend to be over priced, but sometimes they have good deals. im not too sure about the msi mobo but idk much about msi so ill leave it for more feedback and you guys decide.

edit just noticed two of them were microATX mobos so i scrapped them

yea thats definately not bad for the 754 mobo and the evga i spent 300 on the vc and i would have spent the extra 40 to have an extra 754 mobo for sure, tigerdirect is often overpriced but if u are ordering cheaper items the shipping difference to newegg will pay off...

a couple problems, first i dont want to spend more than $50 for this computer since i use it two or three times a week. Second, the RAM is PC66 and i think its 164-pin or something like that. Third, the case is a micro atx and space is very very limited (i mean very limited, i had to remove the mobo from the back to upgrade the RAM).

If you need some PC133 ram or something, send me a PM. I can hook you up with some sticks of 128mb PC133 ram for pretty cheap...

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom