how to upgrade from 98 to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I know whats going are using a XP home or XP pro installing upgrade disc ? if so that coud be the main problem.

or.........

Are using a computers manufacturers xp cd ? that could also lead to problems if the cd see's windows 98 and refuses to install.
What you need to do is back up any critical documents to a 1GB or 2GB flash drive or even CD-R or DVD-R disc would help you out to back up anything.

Try that out if you can and tell us if you made any more progress.

I don't have anything that I need to back up since everything is "bare bones". She never used the computer since she purchased it. I have the computer manufacturer's XP home disc with key. If this doesn't work, I may have gone past the "no return" because everytime I start the computer, it gives me 2 choices: to install the XP or go into Microsoft 98 desktop. I guess that isn't too bad but I would really like to be able to install this XP. I was told by one website that if you delete the program (windows 98) that wasn't originally installed on the computer thru add/remove , the computer will then revert back to the original program (windows XP). That did not happen.

I saw the title and thought this post must be ancient :D

You need to use a third party format disc (G Parted, Western Digital CD.. etc..)
once you have it formated to "NTFS" then you should have no problem installing XP.

you're welcome

It sounds like his problem is he is starting the install from the Win98 system. DON'T DO THAT. Restart the computer and boot from the XP CD don't put the disc in when you are running 98 and start the process from there. To do this go into your bios and make sure you have the CD drive as the first boot device. When you boot from the CD there will not be any needed setup files on C. I am 100% sure this is your problem.

Once you do that then you will be able to delete the c partition and format and install normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom