How to Turn Computer On - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default How to Turn Computer On

Well i have a computer that I am using as a media center pc. Currently I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse via a usb receiver, so from what I have been able to figure out I can't use the keyboard power up since it isn't via the ps2 connection...Is that right?

Basically I am looking for a way to be able to turn my computer on (on the rare instances that I actually power it down)...Is there actually a way to do it through a wireless keyboard? is there some sort of IR receiver I could use? Basically I have just been going up to the case and hitting the power button on the case each time I need to power up. It would be really nice if there was a way to to it either through my keyboard or a remote control... A remote control would be great because then I could program it into my harmony universal remote....

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 01-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Default Re: How to Turn Computer On

go into BIOs
look for a feature similar to "wake on USB"

also
Quote:
To manually enable the Wake from standby option for the USB mouse, start Device Manager, right-click the USB mouse driver, click Properties, and then click to select the Allow this device to wake the system from standby check box.
How to Enable the Wake from Standby Option for a USB Mouse

Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Clown View Post
go into BIOs
look for a feature similar to "wake on USB"

also

How to Enable the Wake from Standby Option for a USB Mouse
Thanks...but is that just to wake it from being in stand by...or will it be a full power start up...
Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

Its only from standby you can't use it as a full power start up you can however buy a switch spereately and wire it up to come out of a watercooling port or pci bracket and put it in a more convenient place. Usb ports don't have power when a pc is turned off hence why it can't be used to turn the pc on, you can get conversion kits from usb to ps2 but I have no idea how well they work or if they havea consistant supply of power.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
Its only from standby you can't use it as a full power start up you can however buy a switch spereately and wire it up to come out of a watercooling port or pci bracket and put it in a more convenient place. Usb ports don't have power when a pc is turned off hence why it can't be used to turn the pc on, you can get conversion kits from usb to ps2 but I have no idea how well they work or if they havea consistant supply of power.
Hmm Interesting...so basically what you are saying is to rewire the power switch from the front of the case to an external switch..I was kind of hoping for a way to do it with something wireless ...like maybe even an IR controler
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Patron

Ir remote may work look around there may be a solution which actually turns it on directly and doesn't use usb can't think of one off the top of my head.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I know they have one but for the life of me can't remember who made it. Silverstone maybe. It had a remote for the media PC too. I was planning on building one a year or two ago but never did, but found a unit that fit in a extra optical bay and the remote controlled the tv card if you had one, and played the optical all on the remote so a keyboard and mouse wasn't even needed. I'll try to do a search and find it again and if I do I'll post it for you.

Dauntae

Found it but it is now discontinued but here is the link anyway.
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE MFP51-B Multi-media system LCD display - Controller Panels

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
I know they have one but for the life of me can't remember who made it. Silverstone maybe. It had a remote for the media PC too. I was planning on building one a year or two ago but never did, but found a unit that fit in a extra optical bay and the remote controlled the tv card if you had one, and played the optical all on the remote so a keyboard and mouse wasn't even needed. I'll try to do a search and find it again and if I do I'll post it for you.

Dauntae

Found it but it is now discontinued but here is the link anyway.
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE MFP51-B Multi-media system LCD display - Controller Panels

Hmm you would think with the emergence of media center pc's that there would be some sort of easy way of turning on your pc ...I mean granted I don't power off my media center pc often...but when I do it just kinda sucks that even tough everything is wireless, I still have to get up and push a button on the case of my pc...I know it isn't much to get up and push it, and don't say that I am being lazy...but it just seems soo low tech...HAHA
Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Patron

You have to do the same with your tv remotes only wake a tv from standby and usb can only wake a pc from standby aswell. When a pc is off the only power is the cmos battery, when you press the button you are creating a shortcircuit which signals the pc to turn on and use full power, by adding a remote system you would also need to power a ir reciever or bluetooth which would mean power is needed and more strain on the battery.