How Integrated Graphics Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intel rocks

Baseband Member
I have a dell laptop and i play World of Warcrsft on it and i want to know if the more ram u have the more graphic memory u have.

How does all that work?

Can someone give me some detailed details.

Thanks.

and also, is it possible to put some kind of video card in a laptop?

Well, it's very basic. It's usually a video processing center that robs memory from your RAM. Usually dell laptops pre-allocate ram to the video card. I don't know how you'd change that, but it does rob itself from the system memory.

Ryan

Dont EVER buy a dell with integrated memory. I'm on one now with a 8mb integrated graphics. Basically integrated meanss that the GPU is in the MoBo. That makes it incredibly useless. The more RAM on the graphics card means you have more graphic memory. The more RAM you have in general means the amount of memory your computer will allocate to each program.

And to put a GPU in a laptop is hard to do and is best to send your laptop back to dell and get them to do it.

alright.. its bad that its a dell.. and its worse that its a laptop :(
laptops are too compact and very easy to forget how to put back together.. or too hard to :(
sry, personal preference..

wut? confused!

ok, i dont understnad still. Im a little confused still. Ok. Lets say i have a laptop with a seperate video card and it is a 256 mb card. then i take my card out and just use the integrated. now i dont have a 256 mb card or picture. so if i upgrade to 1 gig of systtem memory, will i get better picture? and if so how do i do that?

Currently I ahve 512mb of system memory, and integrated graphics. I want to know if i upgrade my memory, will it improve the integrated graphics capabilities?

Thanks for the help

no, two completly different things.. your integrated video already has an assigned memory amount, just like the 256 one you were talking about.. it doesnt change

o????

but if i upgrade memory, it cant change the amount it uses in the integrated because there is more to go around? or does it have a max it is possible it can use? also if i get more RAM will everything else work better, since i am leting everthing else have more memory to ues insted of the small amount of memory before, because of the integrated running?

sorry if this confuses you.

thanx
Nate

If you upgrade memory (RAM, like 1GB sticks) then it will not increase the amount the int. graphics will use. The max possible is like 8MB for integrated. Adding more RAM wont increase that 8MB. Yes everything will run better with more RAM, but if you dont have enough memory in the video card/integrated graphics, then there isnt much more RAM can do. Thats my best explanation.

an integrated video card uses your system RAM and CPU. it basically takes a certain amount of your RAM, say 64MB. if you have 512MB, that means your main system memory becomes 448MB.

sometimes you can change the amount of RAM allocated to the integrated video card, usually between 32MB and 128MB. you change it in your BIOS.
but I would actually recommend you keep it on the lower settings. so you have more memory for the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom