How Do Open This File!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parky-RFC

Baseband Member
First of all..im sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section, i wasnt sure where to post it.

Anyway, i just downloaded a movie and i cant open it!

I keep getting this message:

You are attempting to open a file of type 'BIN File' (.bin)

These files are used by the operating system and various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system.

If you still want to open the file, click Open With, otherwise, click Cancel.

What the feck is a 'BIN File'? And i dont want to click on 'Open With' because i dont have a clue what im doing.

What should i do? Help would be very much appreciated, cheers!

Bin files, unlike other files such as .exe, .wpd, .doc, .xls etc don't have an actual program used to open them specifically. A .bin file is sort of a universal file for binary file. So it can be anything from a rom for an emulator, to image/sound data for a game.

There are a few widely used utilizations for .bin files. One of them is CD images. It is similar to an ISO image. Usually a .bin file will also require a .cue file that goes with it. Programs such as Alcohol 120%, ISO Buster, Nero (etc) can open these.

Then you would simply open Nero or other burning program that supports .bin images and burn from there. Also, with daemon-tools it's possible to mount it as a virtual CD ROM without even burning it, this is useful for testing to ensure an image actually works, before burning it and realize you just made a coaster.

But like mentioned, .bin files are not for a single purpose. CD images is one of them, but so is other things such as game roms and such. Mame is a good example of an emulator that uses .bin files.

.bin files have too many uses to list them all but CD images and ROMs seem to be the two biggest users. AVG (and possibly other Avs) use them, windows uses them (ex: mib.bin which appears to be for SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol). I even found a bin file in my printer's driver directory. So they're used pretty much everywhere and can be looked at in the same way as a file with no extension, which has multiple purposes. The main reason each program won't just come up with their own is probably to avoid using extensions that are used by other programs. So "less important" binary files are usually just named .bin to avoid hassle.

Most movie files are not bin format. I think winrar can open them, but Im not sure. Its probably intended for burning as in you need to use a program to burn the Bin file to a disc. But I Still think that a video file should not be in bin format. Cause in my downloading sprees I have never seen one.
MPEG4
AVI
DIVX
Xvid
Those are the most common movie file types. Try to relocate the movie you want in one of those formats.

Thanks for the help guys. :D

Is there anyway i can convert the file so i can watch it using Windows Media Player??

bin and cue files are MEANT for BURNING-> watch on TV
best way to watch it on comp is like Matt said already, VLC player works like a charm

Thanks fat.clown felt as if no1 was listening to me :D When it comes to video i know a thing or two as i do run a video server just 467 videos mind lol so i know most extensions and how to confgure them to work normally off a computer and vlc is the best video player ive found and ive used 36 (ive got them all the installs backed up on the server).

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom