How do I set up a RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
Alright, I haven't heard hardly anything about RAIDs. I don't know what I need, or how to do it. I've Googled it and looked around a little bit, and I've decided I want a RAID0 (Striped), but that is really all I know.

Here is what I'm using (If you need to know my other hardware, feel free to ask):
ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

I'll be getting two of those hard drives, as I've read it is best to have identical hard drives.

Here are my questions:

1. Is setting up a SATA RAID different from an ATA or simply different in any way? Is it something I should look for when looking for a guide?

2. Do I need special hardware or software to install and use a RAID? I've heard *of* RAID controllers... but some of the guides I've seen don't even mention them. Any info on this?

3. I doubt anyone wants to type out how to install and run a RAID in this forum, so can anyone point me to a guide they believe to be a good one? Especially for a newer noob like me?

4. Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm really looking forward to your replies!

Sata RAID is exactly the same.

(Not sure about hardware for this board)
In the controller BIOS, you can select the two drives and choose to Stripe them (RAID 0). Then you must install the drivers and format the disks.

OR

You could make a SoftRAID the NVraid (Nforce4 software). Which can easily be made by using the software.

** Stick with Hardware if you can

What i did to set up my raid, is insert two hdd's or more. Enable raid in your bios for those certain sata ports. Insert windows XP cd. Press F6 when it shows Installing whatever 3rd raid something> insert raid floppy, install the drivers, continue on formatting/installing windows and BAM your done :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom