How do I put on thermal paste? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Corrupt Techie
Default How do I put on thermal paste?

Building my first computer, there is only one thing I'm nervous about: That's the processor, heatsink, and thermal paste.

I've seen different ways of putting it on and now I'm not sure.

I'm getting the Abit IP35, Q6600, and Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. I'm kind of worried about the large size of the heatsink, and would like this to go as well as possible.

I was planning on putting a very thin layer on the heatsink itself and spreading it with a credit card. Then putting a small "blob" in the middle of the processor and letting pressure spread that one out.

Should I use the thermal paste that comes with the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, or the Artic Silver 5 that I've had sitting around for about 12 months (never used).

... and I could really use advice put putting on the thermal paste, and putting on the heatsink.

I get the parts on Monday and would like to be as prepared as I can.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Black.Ice. Send a message via MSN to Black.Ice.
Default Re: How do I put on thermal paste?

Dun know why you would need to put on thermal paste if your HSF already has it.... But that's just me. My Zalman didn't come with any so I don't know much about that.

But if you are going to put thermal paste on it, I would suggest using the "drop" method, where you just squeeze a tiny bit of paste onto the CPU. The pressure should take care of the paste distribution. I did it for mine and it cools perfectly.

It seems like you are too worried about the amount of thermal paste. In actuality, you only need a small amount because if there is too much, the sheer amount of paste will generate even more heat and there will be less heat transfer. Less is good.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Default Re: How do I put on thermal paste?

Arctic Silver 5 is probably better than the crap they give you

just put a Pea size since your with a Quad-Core (if your dual core go with the rice drop)
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Closed Thread