How do I know I have a dead motherboard or what???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbracing33b

Solid State Member
I have a Gigabyte motherboard GA-MA785GM-US2H, it has ddr2 ram 4 gig total, a phenom processor x4, 630 watt psu.
I have tested the power supply multiple times and I get power when using a tester. So one of my ?'s is can I use a POST card to pull codes off of it, if the motherboard won't power up. (I ordered one last week so I should be getting it soon) This is not my main computer, but I would like to get it up and running! Ever since I have had this board it seems like I have had problems, with this computer. I have sent the board back to the manufacturer, and the said part is to be ok, I sent the cpu back to amd and they sent me a new one. Gigabyte on the other hand I'm not sure if they sent me a new one. Recently I took the whole system and moved it to a new case, and now it won't power up or anything! B4 at least I would get error codes when it fired up! But now it seems like I'm not going to do anyhting. This is y I bought all new stuff! But I would still like to fix this, cause the unit is maybe a year or less old. So I should be able to sell it if I can get it running properly. So can someone lead me in the right direction! Thanks!

Just because the power supply is testing good for having the correct voltages that doesn't mean it's good. It has to be able to product those values under load. It's a 630 watt power supply, what brand is it? It sounds like a power issue to me.

Hey chill - I checked all the stuff that you told me and that seems to be fine, and Slaymate, Shouldn't a psu tester put it under a load, (isn't that y they make testers?) bc I thought that was what the testers were suppose to do? And the brand is XION model no: XOB-630p12n

A cheap power supply tester is only checking voltages. The equipment needed to actually place a "load" on your power supply cost $1000's. Here's a webpage to a Load Tester Chroma Systems Solutions - 63600 Series DC Electronic Load.

XION? I'll bet money that's your problem. A 630 watt XION power supply would probably be rated as a 400-450 watt unit by Antec, Corsair or any other respectable manufacturer.

We can find you a decent power supply but we need to know what components your using. I don't see where you mentioned what video card your using.

Just an update, I did get it started apparently I had a plug installed that I didn't need to install, the way I found this was by unplugging all connections and starting with one a time, restarting the computer each time til it would restart an volia I found one that didn't need connected(even though I thought that it did need to be connected) bc the computer wouldn't restart with that one plugged in! So I get all this done then my old OS didn't want to start, in fact I have had problems with this computer for running windows xp, it never like it, so today I decided to install win 7 to it, and now it works fine! So what was wrong with the old OS and y does the new OS work everything fine? It seems to have fixed every issue that I had b4 with the old OS! I really don't understand y this is? can someone explain to me y one (OS) would work and not the other? And thanks slay I didn't know that there was different ps testers, (I am still very new to this field of work so I am still learning everyday).

The motherboard manual said it was a fan plug that supplies power, it had 4 prongs, ( which my case fans only had 3 prong ones any how). Well I inserted a 4 prong wire that was linked to the psu. (bc I thought that was where it went) That same prong powered my hard drive to (to give you an idea of which loom of wires I am talking about). I unplugged that one and things started working! It might has shorted something. Idk. I also chaged power cords, (but I don't think that was it, bc it was still doing it after I plugged it into the psu). I don't have any pics, but I can pull one off a website, and kinda of show u which one I am talking about.

What I am referring to is in between the firewireplug and the USB plugs, it is a white four pronged plug. The manufacturer is calling it a system fan plug. I am having trouble pulling a pic that will post to this forum so the best thing is just go to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com and you can see exactly what I am talking about. This is the motherboard:ma785gm-us2h

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom