How do I know how much RAM my PC can hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parky-RFC

Baseband Member
Hi, I've got a Dell Dimension 4600 which can be seen here: Dell Dimension 4600 (Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, XP Home) Desktop reviews - CNET Reviews

Ok, back in the day it wasn't too bad but in this day and age the specs are pretty average. I'm looking to upgrade the RAM but I'm unsure how much it can take. How do I find out?

Can anyone give me some advice in purchasing a stick of RAM? Yes probably a stupid question but just curious if there are certain manufactures better than others ect..

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dell Dimension 4600 (Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, XP Home) specs and Desktop specifications - CNET Reviews

Says 2GB Max..

An you'd have to use DDR1 RAM (it specifies 333 MHz PC 2700)

Newegg.com - 2gb DDR, Desktop Memory

Any of those work and then you can throw away that 512mb stick or sell it :D

Thanks very much for your reply.

I found a good website which reckons my PC can hold up to 4GB of RAM.

Dell Dimension Memory - Dimension 4600 Computer Memory Upgrade

It says..

Dimension 4600 Memory Specifications

Maximum Memory: 4.0 GB

Memory Expansion: 4 sockets (2 banks of 2)

Memory Comments: PC2700/3200 DDR SDRAM DIMMs.

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4

Model Comments: 800MHz FSB, Intel 865PE Chipset

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm now rather confused..

Does that mean the maximum stick of RAM I can buy is 1GB but I could buy 1GB x 4 to maximise to 4GB memory?

Could anyone supply me with a suitable stick of 1GB Ram? I'm getting very confused with all this PC2700/3200 DDR SDRAM DIMMs ect..it's like a foreign language to me!

Yep, but thing is you'd need 64bit Vista or XP or Windows Server 2008 to natively see 4GB of Physical RAM...

Unless you enable PAE

All my questions have been answered.

Thanks very much to everyone who contributed to the thread, much appreciated! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom