How crappy is the Celeron e1500 dual core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
Microcenter has it and a motherboard for $69.99...a very cheap combo...

Anyone have any experience?

All depends on what you are using it for. Honestly, as far as performance, it's dated...a lot. I would go for something better, seems kind of a waste of money..

Planning on building a media center to stream hulu feeds and play divx files at 640 x 480 resolution.

If you're only playing stuff at that resolution, I guess it would be alright. I still would get something better, that way if you ever need to play HD stuff, you'd have enough power.

Been trying to decide between the e1500 (mb & cpu $69.99), the wolfdale you reccomend, ($53+about $30 for motherboard at least), and a mid range X2. Still haven't decided which one to settle on. e1500 is cheapeast, but for $20 more, I can get the wolfdale, then for $20 more, an X2, then for $20 more, I could get X, for $20 more, Y, and for $20 more, Z!

Its hard to shop frugally when such miniscule price differences make such a difference, heh.

If you weren't hard set on the celeron e1500, then I would suggest getting the wolfdale I sent you. That wolfdale is better than the cpu I have on my "gaming computer"; it will be perfect for your needs.

Also in the future if you need more performance out if it, you can overclock that thing majorly, and the 1 MB of cache compared to 512 KB won't be as crippling.

Ultimately it depends on what you actually think you need out of your system, for me that wolfdale is probably as good if not better than any cpu I currently have on any of my machines, but for some on this board they would probably laugh at its lack of power (compared to an core i7 and the like).

The celeron is so temptinga t that price...can't you still OC the **** out of it, though? I would think it'd be fine for what your needs are, especially if you can squeeze some more performance out of it.

If you're only playing stuff at that resolution, I guess it would be alright. I still would get something better, that way if you ever need to play HD stuff, you'd have enough power.

A Celeron would be plenty of power for HD video playback provided it's paired with a suitable gpu, even a Atom+ION can easily handle blu ray playback.

Personally I would still go for the Wolfdale since it gives you a newer architecture, more l2, VT support, and a slightly higher clock speed.

I have a box of assorted celeron cpu's i only use to test hardware with. In my opinion there budget cpu's & even the athlon x2 64 are starting to be so cheap these days that there more or less budget cpu's but still out perform celerons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom