How to convert VHS tapes to PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2k47

Beta member
hello all,

I want to convert VHS tapes to the PC with good quality. Wouldnt a PCI TV card solve the problem and convert both video and audio data? becuase the retailer told me only a video covertor card would do that?

BTW, all the TV card i have seen ( like this one here ) have the audio-in jack different from the video-in which is not the case with the VCR i have? anyway around this?

Specs:

Motherbrd : ASUSTeK P5K SE Intel P35.
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz.
Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB GDDR3.
Memory : kingmax Semiconductor 2 GB DDR2-SDRAM PC5300 .
Storage : WDC SATA-II 80 GB

Hmmmm.... I know at my last job we had an ATI All-In-Wonder setup to do just this very thing. I'm pretty sure any TV tuner card will work, but don't consider my answer conclusive. If in doubt, the All-In-Wonder definitely gets the job done, but is usually a bit more expensive than the standard TV tuner since it is also a standard GPU as well.

k thanks for the reply but what about the audio-in jack? its different from what I have on the VCR?

k thanks for the reply but what about the audio-in jack? its different from what I have on the VCR?

Does your VCR have a standard analog output? If so, you want a TV tuner card that looks like this:
Newegg.com - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit 1128 PCI-Express x1 Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

Obviously you don't need one this expensive that has 3 of them, but analog signal from VCR caries both video and audio so get one that has one of these inputs. That is, if your VCR has that as an output.

here is what the back of my VCR looks like ...the tv cards i have seen at the retailer looks pretty much like this which shows that the audio-in difference. BTW, my budget is tight, around 20 bucks which is just the price of the TV card i have seen at the shop(don't know the brand though) ? but The ones philbar71 and surgeVel posted are more expensive than the one i saw? Does that make a difference?

here is what the back of my VCR looks like ...the tv cards i have seen at the retailer looks pretty much like this which shows that the audio-in difference. BTW, my budget is tight, around 20 bucks which is just the price of the TV card i have seen at the shop(don't know the brand though) ? but The ones philbar71 and surgeVel posted are more expensive than the one i saw? Does that make a difference?

the cheap card and this $4.00 adapter will work:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RCW-H9012 6 ft. Mini-Stereo to RCA Audio Cable M-2M - Audio Video Cables
it will take the stereo RCA output of your VCR and convert it to 3.5mm stereo, which will then plug into that card you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom