How can I tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Slacking Guru
just not sure what limits I might have.
You're only limited by your budget.
That being said, I wouldn't upgrade this computer, I would invest in a new one.

Expansion slots are PCI, not sure if they even still make graphics cards for that slot.
You can still get RAM, but with 2 slots capped at 512MB I'm not sure how much of a boost you'll see.
And someone may need to correct this, but I think your CPU is socket 370, which would be difficult to find an upgrade for.

so I couldnt.... strip it down to the case and rebuild?

I want to get the old data off the old hard drive... from there I do not care about the old computer...

just did not want to order a bunch of parts and none of them fit in the case.

I'm honestly not sure if the case is reusable, but you can get a new one at a reasonable price.

As to the hard drive, if the computer turns on then I would say plug in a USB flash drive or external hard drive and transfer the files to that, or burn them to CDs.
If the computer doesn't turn on I really wouldn't invest in parts to make it functional just for that purpose, I would take it to a local computer shop and either have them get it functional long enough to get the files off, or have them remove the drive and plug it into a working comp that will let you get the files off.

Hey thanks for the heads up man! should have looked into that before I ordered the power supply... lol

I will boot it get the info and... Idk.. use it as a paper weight.

Hey thanks for the heads up man! should have looked into that before I ordered the power supply... lol

I will boot it get the info and... Idk.. use it as a paper weight.

Power supplies are very reusable.
Which psu did you get?

In a pinch you could re-use the case, hard drive and dvd, but youre best is to retrieve your data, then maybe donate it to a church, or community program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom