How can i add a M.2 NVMe SSD to my laptop (if possible) ?

Multicore

In Runtime
How can i add a M.2 NVMe SSD to my laptop (if possible) ?

SSD to be added: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD 512GB PCIe 3.0 x4
Laptop model: Dell Inspiron 15 5547
Mobo details (via Speccy):
6psechp8v

Also, which software to use to get better/more hardware details ?

That SSD requires a PCI-E capable M.2 slot and a board geared with a bios that will support NVMe boot. None of which your laptop is going to have.

Thanks for the quick reply. I needed confirmation. I have two questions:
1. Is there a PCI-E to M.2 adapter for laptops ? (i think there isn't & also they wont fit in)
2. Is NVMe BIOS boot support, something one could achieve via BIOS upgrades and/or BIOS configuration changes ? (see this & this; although it may not be applicable to my case here)

1. No, this requires a gen 3.0 4x card with a board capable of NVMe boot off the slot of a direct M.2 slot with the aforementioned requirements.
2. The only problem I see here is these tools look like they are designed to work with AIB partner motherboards, not laptops. The last problem being where to put it to begin with. If you don't have a PCI-E M.2 slot with M key notch you're basically dead in the water.

The data you show for your lappy is misleading. Those slots are a part of the system but are not physically available. They're not really there.
More than likely the only one you really have a plug for on the board, is for the WiFi card. You may have another if your lappy uses an add on graphics card. But those are going to be "mini" versions of the slot.

The data you show for your lappy is misleading. Those slots are a part of the system but are not physically available. They're not really there.
More than likely the only one you really have a plug for on the board, is for the WiFi card. You may have another if your lappy uses an add on graphics card. But those are going to be "mini" versions of the slot.
HIs dedicated GPU will be MXM-B slot which isn't compatible with anything other than GPUs and wifi will either be HMC or M.2 2230. Since there's no mention of M.2 in any brief more than likely the wifi is HMC.

The SSD in question though requires a M key slotted PCI-E M.2 slot and a UEFI bios that supports NVMe and M.2 size 2280. Most M.2 wifi adapters are B key.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom