how to buy a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazlunatic

In Runtime
Hey guys, I'm looking for a future-proof laptop and am not sure what to do.

The most I can spend is probably 1300-1600.

Right now I know that the C2D is the fastest CPU and best bang for the buck on the market, but that's pretty much all I know.

I will be playing games but not intensively: Half Life 1 / 2 , Q4, Doom 3, hopefully I can play unreal tournament 2007

Nothing bigger than a 15" LCD

And I hope my laptop can last for about 3-5 years. I'm not sure how much money will get me how many years with a laptop.

My friends have bought $2000 laptops that only last 3 years and I don't want to go down that path.

thanks

It will be hard to get a ''future proof'' laptop....

as you know technology is advancing every day...so if you want a Laptop that you will Never have to change...

you will need to upgrade it (either yourself or from an independant) to keep it decent

you will need to upgrade operating systems and so on...

so the answer is that there is no actual ''future proof laptop'' that you wont have to maintain....(do you know anyone who still uses Windows 95??)

a Dell XPS is decent, 2GB ram - 160GB HD windows Vista....

that will keep you going for a LONG time, but like i say, if you want to keep it for a long time, you will need to keep upgrading the components every so often

hmm i think wat i meant to ask is:
what kind of laptop do you suggest I get that will last me for a while, while at the same time, is at a good price?

laptops get outdated faster than the popped-collar trend.

i say your best bet is dell XPS. dont make the same mistake i did by buying shared video memory. it sucks.

yes, so thats 2 votes for the Dell XPS -

they are good and will last you a long time -

if you dont fancy that you want to look for the following spec-
1-2GB RAM
100-160 GIG Gard Drive
DVD Re-Writer
widescreen

those are the main things to look out for

btw i live in canada and cannot pucrhase from newegg.
the problem with the xps is it has a version that is TOO small and TOO big.

What about the 15" that everyone uses! lol. I would be ok with a 12.1" XPS if thats what I'll have to end up with.

truuuse me you dont want a 12inch screen. unless you need to go that small for a purpose.

^^^^^ yea - couldnt have said it better ^^^^^

you dont want to sacrafise screen size, you'll be kicking yourself if you get a 12'' screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom