How big of a power supply do I need for this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradS

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I'm posting here to ask you all a question regarding the size of wattage that may be needed for a new build that I may be starting soon. Here are the parts:

Intel BOXDG41CN LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

ASUS Black 24X DVD+R ... SATA 24X DVD Burner

And this is the power supply that I was thinking of getting with this set of parts:

Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Any thoughts on whether this power supply is overkill for this build and if so what wattage you guys think I should aim for? 400? 300? Just so ya know, I'm not new at this but I have only built a computer once and it was for me. This computer will be for my mom for her birthday coming up. She is still using the same computer that she got like 10 years ago (single core with Windows XP and like 1 GB of RAM...) Thanks in advance. :)

Also, if anyone has any suggestions of parts that are maybe of equal ability or better but for a cheaper price, don't hesitate to let me know. XD

A good rule to follow is to have a power supply that have 30% more power than is needed. Add up all the power you will need based on what parts you have and add the 30% to that number.

Ex. If you have 400 watts, you will need a 520 watt power supply.

PS. rather have to much power than not enough.

Okay, yeah that's what I was thinking too. In my computer that I built last July, I bought all the parts and got a 750 watt power supply that is 80 plus gold and it works perfectly with the core i7 930, radeon 5850, etc. Not sure if I will go with intel yet or not since I might be able to go amd for maybe $100 cheaper or something.. Anyways, thanks for the help :)

Power efficent 45nm c2d along with onboard video? that thing sips on power. Probably draws 200 watts max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom