Hoping someone can help?

andrew2878

Solid State Member
hi, I'm using an Abit ip35 pro xe motherboard and i was wondering whats the best GPU I can put on it, currently, I use a Q6600 and a gtx 560 ti but looking to upgrade without spending loads of money on buying all new parts?

You can put any card you want in there granted you have the PSU for it. Just all depends on what you want to play because you'll become very CPU bottlenecked.

I was thinking that then I looked on a website that listed all the compatible graphics cards, is if definite that I can put like a 1030 in and I can upgrade my cpu later? I really don't want to waste money by buying a card I can't use.

I was thinking that then I looked on a website that listed all the compatible graphics cards, is if definite that I can put like a 1030 in and I can upgrade my cpu later? I really don't want to waste money by buying a card I can't use.
I mean honestly, it doesn't matter what card you get. If you get a 1030 you're just getting a crap card that isn't even an upgrade. If you got something like a 1060 you'd still be able to game decently and when you get your new platform it won't be a wasted purchase.

so you mean get the 1060 as a futre proof, i can use it now but the cpu will be the bottleneck obviously but when i get a better cpu i can get the full extent of the card? And the card will definitely be able to be used by my motherboard aslong as i have a pci express slot 2/3.0?

I was using it as an example, but yes all PCI-E is backwards compatible. You can put whatever card you want in your machine granted you have the PSU to handle it. PCI-E 2.0 16x slots won't bottleneck and your CPU will be fine to an extent. You will be able to game most everything but you'll definitely know on some titles where the CPU is holding you back. Even the smallest of setup would bring you back to potential like an i3 or an R3 1200.

yeah i get what you mean , i would have to buy a new motherboard for to put different types of processors as the ip35 only supports 775 as standard but can mod the board and the bios to use 771 cpus which i will do as its an easy upgrade for about £20 and abit of effort.

yeah i get what you mean , i would have to buy a new motherboard for to put different types of processors as the ip35 only supports 775 as standard but can mod the board and the bios to use 771 cpus which i will do as its an easy upgrade for about £20 and abit of effort.
You won't see any noticeable impact and IIRC 771 requires ECC RAM for any of the Xeons. You'd be better off spending that money on ways to OC the Q6600 but even that will only get you so far.

so would you say i need to buy a new mobo for best use of the 1060 if i went with that or is there a processor thats worth buying that fits in the 775 socket, or the 771 if its worth just buying the ram aswell?
As for overclocking my Q6600 i can only get it to 2.5ghz so i seem to of been very unlucky or maybe im just doing it wrong. Anything above that the pc turns off after a few minutes.

Last edited:
so would you say i need to buy a new mobo for best use of the 1060 if i went with that or is there a processor thats worth buying that fits in the 775 socket, or the 771 if its worth just buying the ram aswell?
What I'm saying is I wouldn't waste anymore money on this platform at all. The GPU will enable you to get more FPS in certain areas where you're not being completely held back by the CPU. You'll stil see an overall bump in performance regardless because the 1060 is much better than the 560. There's no CPU that's attainable on that platform that won't bottleneck a new graphics card.

As for overclocking my Q6600 i can only get it to 2.5ghz so i seem to of been very unlucky or maybe im just doing it wrong. Anything above that the pc turns off after a few minutes.
REquires good cooling, knowledge of FSB overclocking, and a good deal of voltage to the CPU.

Back
Top Bottom