Home Entertainment Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagger576

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I've been doing some reading and I'm thinking about creating a micro-pc for home entertainment. I'm thinking it'll mostly run Boxee through Ubuntu or something along those lines. Currently we don't own an HD TV, but I hope to eventually so an HDMI out would be necessary, as would S-Video so we can use it in the mean time.

I just built a computer for the first time a few months ago and I'm itching to do it again, but I'm not sure with a build like this if it makes much sense... Have any of you guys ever looked in to it? I figure since it wouldn't require much in the way of hardware, it could be built pretty cheaply
(I'd LOVE to for it to cost 200 or less.) but I'm not sure if it would be equally cheap to buy some kind of a pre-built box... What do you guys think? Any thoughts or opinions on it?

If you can build and you want to then building is easily the better option. HTPC boxes are fairly common around here and you are right about them not needing much in the way of hardware. You can get HDMI out and decent quality audio integrated onto the mobo these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom