High Performance on budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAnonymous

Solid State Member
Hi I'm pretty much a newbie to building my own system. I am looking to build a performance PC that is powerful enough to handle my music software program (Reason 3.0). The computer I have now can handle it to a point, but once I have a lot going on in the program, it clips and sometimes stops playing.

Here is what I'll need:

1 gig of ram
2 gig processor
New motherboard (no idea what to look for!)
New case

I have a soundblaster Audigy sound card that I'll use from this computer, and I am not really interested in a new graphics card right now.

Can someone direct me to the most inexpensive but reliable parts I need? My budget right now is about 500 bucks.

Any info would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Tim

Hi

I don't play any games or watch any movies really at all. The computer will be used mainly for using Reason 3.0 to make music....and multitasking (AIM, internet, Reason, downloading). I don't do any video editing either right now....although I may get into it down the road but I don't need anything for that now. I can order the parts from any internet site. I am going to order each part seperately as I get money...just so I don't waste the money on anything else haha....but I'd be willing to spend about 600 bucks.

I don't know anything about what i need! I was looking at the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 processor...but I have no idea if this is right for my application. Should I go with AMD or Intel or something else? Which is more stable/reliable? I definitely want a gig of ram. I don't need a video card or audio card. And I want a nice case with a new power supply and fans and other peripherals ill need. With this info...could you guys point me in the right direction as to where to look for some reliable performance parts for a reasonable price? If you want, tell me what you would get with this budget and my application...that would be great!

Thanks,
tim

For 500 bucks and no need for a powerful card you can build a very fast multi-tasking desktop/music PC.

Do you want to overclock? It is completely safe nowadays really and you will get some huge overclocks and really get your money's worth. If you don't overclock then I suggest:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Total comes to $490 bucks and that thing will chew up any kind of desktop tasks you can throw at it. The Onboard video is plenty enough to watch movies if you ever had to as well.

Thanks guys for this info!!! Greatly appreciated :).....I'm going to check everything out now.

Sora - I don't really think I'll need to overclock...I don't really do anything that involves a great amount of cpu usage.

thanks again guys

tim

I agree with Sora. That is a plenty powerful system for $500 without a graphics card. The list I made from my previous post, is if you didn't want to overclock.

I can't thank you guys enough.....you saved me so much time. I didn't know you could get this powerful of a system for so cheap! I shoulda done more research haha. Well I'm off to order the case and mobo now...then the other stuff as I get more money.

Thanks!

tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom