Hey guys, budget build question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

retardotyler

Beta member
Hey I was reading some of the budget build stuff on here and I just had a couple quick questions. I should have probably searched the forum first but they are fairly simple and easily answered, so I'd rather just get a specific reply. Anyway..

I want to build a budget computer with a budget of $450 to $500 with the exception that It will be upgradable in time.

I'm not savvy on building and this will be my first attempt with help from a friend. My question is what do I need to spend money on now so that I can upgrade other pieces later? I'm assuming the mobo and processor should be good off the bat while I can skimp on other things. I doubt i'll ever be using SLI, but will need pci-e. I'd prefer intel core 2 duo. basically I want it to be upgradable enough to run diablo 3 / WoW at decent settings. But for now it just needs to be a school work and internet computer. Will be running ubuntu and kde3 or xp for now so doesnt have to be lightning fast.

Should I even waste my time making it upgradable?

Can you recommend a good mobo/processor to start with? I checked newegg, but it looks like I can find them cheaper at frys.

Any other starting pieces you'd like to recommend would be appreciated also, like a cheap but decent case.

thanks.

Making a comp which is upgradeable is always a good idea, and usually quite easy.

If you want to go Intel, get an E8400/8500; that way you can upgrade to a quad later. You could also get something like the Phenom II X3 710, which is a excellently-priced AMD triple-core (just under £100 here in the UK), and can then also upgrade to a quad.
Silverstone and CoolerMaster tend to do quite good, cheap mid-end cases.
An SLI- or crossfire-capable motherboard makes upgrading graphics in the future very cheap - I can't recommend any particular motherboards, though I really like my ASUS P5N-D. Also, any new motherboard you buy nowadays will have PCI-e.
As for graphics card, you should be looking in the range of the GTS250 if you go nVidia; I'm not so well-versed on ATi cards.

Edit: I happen to know this case is very good, if you can find it in the US for a reasonable price.

So I have an AMD offering for you, I'll work on an Intel rig. The x3 720 and Biostar combo I grabbed in March is cheap again. :D

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

All that comes to $507.44 after shipping, then you get 50 bucks back in MIRs.

The x3 720 is a great CPU, works well with gaming, overclocking, and general multitasking.

I bundled a 3450 with the build because you can Hybrid Crossfire it with the onboard 3300, and it will almost double the performance. You should have no problem playing WoW at higher settings. D3 should be fine too. You can upgrade later, as well. Dual PCI-E slots if youw ant to crossfire better cards later, but the 3450 would be fine for now.

I'll work out an intel build, if you want.

I tried working out an E8400 build, but it doesn't really work. If I was able to bump the budget to a bit over 600 bucks, I might be able to swing it with a decent video card, but your best bet is the AMD build for the cost.

The only way you could get a decent intel build for under 500 bucks right now is by getting an E5200, but the x3 720 is definitely a better CPU for the money.

Hey thanks for the replies.

I will definitely take these considerations on the boards. I really like that amd build. I had no idea newegg was so cheap im loving it haha.

I thought I would be building a much less capable pc I had no idea the performance I wanted was realistically within $400-500 dollars. thanks again

That's an okay combo, but the x3 720 will outperform it, and it's only about 25 bucks more.

Just so you know, the Biostar board is a great overclocker. The old WR holder for the x3 720 used the same one, and I've gotten mine stable at 3.6ghz on stock cooling...I just dial it back a bit because I worry about temps. :p

If you want to overclock, you could easily throw in an aftermarket HSF, you can grab this: Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

The cost of the HSF will still make the build under 500 bucks after the MIRs.

That's an okay combo, but the x3 720 will outperform it, and it's only about 25 bucks more.

Just so you know, the Biostar board is a great overclocker. The old WR holder for the x3 720 used the same one, and I've gotten mine stable at 3.6ghz on stock cooling...I just dial it back a bit because I worry about temps. :p

did you have any problems fitting that board? I've been reading things about it not working well or excessive flexing in some cases?

I was considering this Antec case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom