Hey all, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge52

Baseband Member
Ok, I'm new here. The name's mike :) I was told to come here for some help. so currently I have been very unhappy with my machine. Over the 3 year period I have had it, I have had power problems; post problems; boot problems etc. basically, I want to scrap it and rebuild something that works. the specs on it are as follows:

case: Antec p160 (good case for cooling but I'm sick of it. I like full towers. I honestly believe that this causes me the problems and not the hardware but I can't be sure).

mobo: Soyo CK8 Dragon Plus

proc: AMD 64 3200+

memory: 2x ddr 512mb ram sticks and a ddr 256mb(1.2GB total)

hd's: 1x western dig 80GB slave, 1x 250GB maxtor hd master

GFX: ATI Radeon x800xt plat edition

PS: Ultra 500 or greater, can't remember

Drives: 1x CD-RW, 1x DVD-RW ; floppy NOT installed

All right, so that's my rig. For CS:Source and BF2 she's a smooth machine. However, I have the wierdest problems with it. Sometimes it'll not past post or it'll hang at the boot screen. ****, when I go to install new hardware or mess around inside I turn off the PC and when everything is off I unplug the power cable. Just to be safe right! well, what really makes me mad is when I put everything where it needs to go and put the power back in and hit the button, everything starts but it doesn't pass post. I've tried switching hard drives, vid cards, power supply...they all work fine. Mobo, case are what I nailed it down to. maybe the ram, but it can't be because I just bought it!

Hmm, I must be going on a rant and rave. I'm sorry, I'm just out of options and I hate it. Thankfully, I bought a barebone kit and built a pc just to browse the internet with and check mail.

So after my life story haha, I hope that I can take the good parts: proc, ram, hd's, vid card, cd drives and build something else. now I have the expensive parts covered, I imagine all I need is a new mobo, case and other stuff.

with my amd64 3200+, ati radeon x800xt pe, 1gb ram, hard drives and cd drives I ask your help in building a new rig. Should be alot cheaper because I can use what I listed a sentence ago. price range for new parts under 600 should be fine right? thanks guys

I'd recommend the 6800GT instead of the x800XT plat ed. And what the **** is a Soyo?

You need a new mobo. Look at the DFI and MSI boards.

Get a new PSU. Ultra is not know for reliability. Look at an Antec.

You want a new case? Kill two birds with one stone:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129158

As Desiboi said, the x800xt ought to go (paraphrase there). Look at the 6800Gt, 6800GS, or the 7800GT.

And what the **** is a Soyo?

Soyo used to be a big dog in mobos. They are still there, and trying to get back in the performance market. Their boards ain't that hot, though.

Why are you guys all recomending new graphics card, he got what he got and a 6800GT is not much of an upgrade at all.

It's defiantly a motherboard problem though, get a new motherboard and hit your old one with an axe :p

cool, thanks for the recommendations. Why do I want to keep my ATI x800xt pe? well, I got it for free and I'm not looking to spend some extra shells as others said for a slight upgrade. heh, I'm an ati fanboy anyway ;)

trotter and dj-chris, thank you for helping me narrow my searches to the mobo.

Yeah, I was wondering why I got the soyo. at the time my buddy said it's a good board. Lot of people I know are spitting out brands like DFI, ASUS and MSI. The problem, I know next to nothing about mobos! I'd like you guys to help narrow it. I plan on putting in my vid card, AMD 64 3200+ chip, ddr ram and my hard drives. I just need your guys help to point me in the right direction. hopefully, not asking for to much. I've been looking at newegg and tigerdirect but it's gibberish to me "socket 235234635 with 2353465 front side bus" haha sorry, that's what it's like to me.

trotter, also thanks for the help on the PS and Case, I'm really looking into that one. I only fear over heating as my first computer ever spontaneously combusted while I was playing doom!

ohh, thank you. I believe I will purchase this case :) so that means all I need now is a mobo and some round ide or ata cables. I'm curious, I want to get out of IDE stage of my computer life ha. wow, I couldn't have been more of a dork there!

If you get a new mobo like the ASUS, DFI or MSI, they should come with IDE and SATA cables.

BTW I have that same mobo or something very similar (looks like it and its a soyo) and i havent had problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom